The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"I've seen enough FOM ass to last me several years."

Homepage Homepage    Our Charities Our Charity    Our Supporters Our Supporters    Regional Chapters Our Local Chapters  News News   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yvonne Craig
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:43 am 
Matato'a

Personal Statement: Soups on!
So sad...

Quote:
Actress Yvonne Craig, who starred in the role of Barbara Gordon/Batgirl in the 1960s "Batman" TV series, passed away in her home on Monday night at the age of 78 due to breast cancer.

Craig had a long career on TV with roles in "The Man from UNCLE," "The Wild Wild West" and "The Ghost & Mrs. Muir". However it was two key small screen appearances that will be forever remembered.

In the original "Star Trek" series, Craig played the role of the green-skinned Orion slave girl Marta who was out to kill Captain Kirk in the episode "Whom Gods Destroy". It's a performance that defined that entire race in "Star Trek" for decades to come and is still one of the more enduring images from the original show.

The other of course was her joining "Batman" in which she did all her own stunts and motorcycle riding as Batgirl. Craig is survived by her husband, Kenneth, and her nephews, Todd and Christopher.

A toast to Roger

Post subject: Re: Yvonne Craig
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:57 am 
Tagata Ao

Personal Statement: cromagnon ohio thugs
RIP, Yvonne.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:07 pm 
Hoa Manu

Location: Metro Atlanta- Proud home of the Tongariki Chapter.
Personal Statement: To Taua Na Moai!
She was a total bad ass. RIP Yvonne.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26oktb_batgirl-unaired-pilot-yvonne-craig_tv

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:37 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Enjoy Yourself

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:06 pm 
Nounou Moai

Personal Statement: One drink beyond
RIP to a lovely and talented lady.

From CNN:

Craig died this week after a long two-year battle with breast cancer. She was 78.

The cancer metastasized to her liver, and she died Monday in her home in Pacific Palisades.

"She had been in chemo almost continuously for the past two plus years since being diagnosed and that had weakened her immune system as well as her body," her family said in a statement late Tuesday night.

"This didn't dampen her sense of humor or her spirit, she intended to fight and win this battle. In the end, her mind still wanted to fight but her body had given up."

Craig originated the role of Batgirl in the show's third and final season in 1967, kapowing and zzonking the bad guys alongside Adam West and Burt Ward's dynamic duo of Batman and Robin.

"I hear from women that I was their role model," she told CNN in an interview earlier this year. "'When I was a little girl, I realized that girls could kick butt just like guys,' [they'd say]."

She also had a memorable role as the green-skinned Orion slave girl Marta who wanted to kill Captain Kirk in a third-season episode of "Star Trek."

But even beyond those two well-remembered roles, Craig had a long and illustrious career that began as the youngest member of a ballet company.

Accidental actress

In an interview with CNN earlier this year, Craig explained how she got into acting while she was still touring as a dancer.

"I was invited to dinner by a man who was a producer, who wanted to put me in movies and I said I wasn't interested," she said.

"[Director] John Ford's son walked by and asked 'Excuse me, are you an actress?' And as I shook my head and tried to swallow, [the producer said], 'She is and I'm her manager. What can I do for you?' Typical Hollywood.

"They were doing a movie with John Wayne's son Patrick, and they were looking for a leading lady. And I became it."

That was 1959's "The Young Land."

She went on to appear in several films, including two with Elvis Presley -- "It Happened at the World's Fair" and "Kissin' Cousins."

She then parlayed her success into television roles, guest starring in several series, most notably several episodes of "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" and "77 Sunset Strip."

Then came her role as Batgirl.

A hero is born

DC Comics was asked to create a new Batgirl to help get the show a third season, and Commissioner Gordon's daughter, Barbara, took on the identity of the newest masked avenger in Gotham City, both on TV and in the comic books.

"It was a wonderful experience," Craig said.

"The crew liked one another, the cast liked one another. It doesn't happen often, and when it does, it's a joy to go to work every day. I got to work with people that I would never have the chance to work with. We had Ethel Merman, I would never have met Milton Berle, I got to work with him, and he was a delight."

Craig described the characters of Barbara Gordon and Batgirl as "very close to who I am."

"Marge, don’t discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn.
It’s what separates us from the animals… except the weasel"

Homer J. Simpson