The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"There's some sweat in my fez!"

Homepage Homepage    Our Charities Our Charity    Our Supporters Our Supporters    Regional Chapters Our Local Chapters  News News   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:12 pm 
Honui Moai

started a new job last month at another bicycle shop. this time it's only 1.3 miles from my house. i decided that i need something cool to pedal to work on every day and this is gonna be it. it's a 1967 26" Schwinn Typhoon. it's gonna be set up like a big kid's Stingray. it'll have a squared off slick on the back and all. i'll try to keep up on the updates so y'all can watch the progress...

been gathering parts for the bike. i really need some handlebars, but can't find any i like or want. may have to buy some, then cut and weld them to my liking.

so far i have the cranks, bottom bracket, headset, stem, wheels and 1 of the tires. still waiting on the rear tire to come in the mail. it's actually a sulky tire that looks like an old Stingray slick, but it's made for a 26" wheel. still need a seat and a few other minor things. it's going to be a 3 speed internally geared hub, with a jockey shift.

the seat post is rust welded into the frame and no amount of coaxing would set it free. i chopped it off, but left a small bit in there to act as a slug so i can weld a post to it. the wheels on it in the pic are not the ones going on it. i just wanted to get an idea of the ride height.

here's a pic of the tire...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:19 pm 
Honui Moai

new tire and wheel!