The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"He should be walled up in a cave with the jackhole who came up with burpees."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:56 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: In everything: Balance
Lauderdale’s Unseen Speakeasy Scene

Unit B
At this modern-day hideout, you’ll need more than an average codeword to get in. Located in Fort Lauderdale’s trendy FATVillage neighborhood, Unit B keeps things exclusive by providing a door code that changes nightly. The quaint speakeasy is hidden behind an inconspicuous wood panel door inside The Brass Tap – once unlocking the secret entrance, guests will find a cozy second floor lounge reminiscent of Prohibition-era social rooms. Its menu of libations features classic cocktails with a twist, playfully crafted and served with a touch of artistry.

Apothecary 330
Tucked away inside Pizza Craft Artisan Pizzeria, Apothecary 330 is a hidden gem within Historic Himmarshee Street, downtown Fort Lauderdale’s nightlife mecca. The 1920s-inspired secret lounge is a local hotspot offering classic and innovative cocktails shaken or stirred with a selection of hundreds of fine spirits from across the globe. Loyal clientele enjoys first dibs at exclusive spirit samplings, mixology courses and culinary pairing events.

The Hideaway
In the heart of downtown Fort Lauderdale, The Hideaway comes alive at the historic Bryan Building, a landmark listed in the National Registry of Historic Places. Gracefully hidden in plain sight, this speakeasy offers artisanal cocktails, craft beers plus a rotating menu of bar bites served counter-style. This nostalgic concept evokes authenticity with design elements, paying homage to the transformative history of Fort Lauderdale. Its industrial chic setting is brought to life with original Dade County Pine, reclaimed dècor, stamped tin ceilings, and custom era furniture.Its entertainment line-up keeps natives coming back with local bands to international DJs.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:10 pm 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

Personal Statement: Let's get our Tiki on!!
Thanks for the info. Will definitely try to check these places out the next time I go down.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:36 am 
Fellow Moai

I have heard of a few of them, but have not been.. Time for some exploring!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:57 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Tiki?
Quote:
Dress Code

Dress to impress. No t-shirts, no sandles, no flip-flops, no hats, no shorts, no tank tops, no sneakers.

That makes Unit B a "no thanks" for me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:02 pm 
Avai Pukao

Personal Statement: pants off bottoms up
JonTiki wrote:

You've been to Apothecary with me, Doc Akune, and Patiki a few years ago when Patiki happened to be in town for work on Day of the Dead.

You've also been through the newest one in Hollywood, the Sidecar at Hotsy Totsy. For those not familiar with South Florida, Hollywood is just south of Fort Lauderdale (they kind of bleed together). Hotsy Totsy is a little over a year old restaurant and bar that features prohibition cocktails, and great shared plates. The decor is a sort of modernized 20s style. They opened the Sidecar next door a few months ago. It's visually a little less modern, and a lot darker. Everyone loves their black on black flocked wallpaper with naked faeries. The entrances are truly disguised and require codes that they post on social media. The drink menu at Sidecar is completely different (you cannot get a boulevardier there even though it's the best thing on the Hotsy Totsy menu).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:03 pm 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

JonTiki wrote:

I've always wanted to check out Apothecary 330. Can we go please?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:14 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Aperture Science
The Intoxicologist wrote:
Lauderdale’s Unseen Speakeasy Scene

Unit B
At this modern-day hideout, you’ll need more than an average codeword to get in. Located in Fort Lauderdale’s trendy FATVillage neighborhood, Unit B keeps things exclusive by providing a door code that changes nightly. The quaint speakeasy is hidden behind an inconspicuous wood panel door inside The Brass Tap – once unlocking the secret entrance, guests will find a cozy second floor lounge reminiscent of Prohibition-era social rooms. Its menu of libations features classic cocktails with a twist, playfully crafted and served with a touch of artistry.
I would recommend against this location. A group of us went, Doc was dressed in his dress kilt, long sleeved collared shirt, socks shoes and he was denied entrance because his legs were showing. I kid you not. This location also does not enforce the dress code, it only applies to men. The music is hip hop, rap, and anything that is usually of a club mix with the volume set to waaaay past 11. That all said, the drinks were good - but not good enough for me to ever give this place any of my business again.

Apothecary 330
Tucked away inside Pizza Craft Artisan Pizzeria, Apothecary 330 is a hidden gem within Historic Himmarshee Street, downtown Fort Lauderdale’s nightlife mecca. The 1920s-inspired secret lounge is a local hotspot offering classic and innovative cocktails shaken or stirred with a selection of hundreds of fine spirits from across the globe. Loyal clientele enjoys first dibs at exclusive spirit samplings, mixology courses and culinary pairing events.
This is a nice spot, love the decor, love the vibe. Drinks are decent and they are connected with Pizza Craft. Located in the heart of downtown Fort Lauderdale. Music varies, but it's usually good stuff.

The Hideaway
In the heart of downtown Fort Lauderdale, The Hideaway comes alive at the historic Bryan Building, a landmark listed in the National Registry of Historic Places. Gracefully hidden in plain sight, this speakeasy offers artisanal cocktails, craft beers plus a rotating menu of bar bites served counter-style. This nostalgic concept evokes authenticity with design elements, paying homage to the transformative history of Fort Lauderdale. Its industrial chic setting is brought to life with original Dade County Pine, reclaimed dècor, stamped tin ceilings, and custom era furniture.Its entertainment line-up keeps natives coming back with local bands to international DJs.
I haven't yet been to this one yet. Been meaning to check it out.

To add on what E33 noted - other cool spots to check out:

Bar Stache in Downtown Fort Lauderdale https://stacheftl.com/ this one is a mix of various styles depending on the night. This was made over from what used to be called the Green room (RIP) - it has a very cool dark vibe. It's a 2 level club - 2nd level overlooking the dance/bar space. A neat "library" set up on the 2nd floor. 3 bars (2 are usually open). Drinks are fairly well done - no food.
This isn't really a hidden bar, but it definitely has that vibe.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:09 pm 
Fellow Moai

Oh yeah, I remember Apothecary now... Hotsy Totsy was great too!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:33 am 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: #LeaveNoTikiBehind
These all sound amazing, thank you! We will be down there next month and should take in a couple of we can.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:47 am 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Tiki?
After regaling me with tales, I'm still waiting on E33 and Luru to take me to the Bimini Bay Bar. Sounds like my kinda classy establishment.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:49 pm 
Honui Moai

Wahine Magnet wrote:
After regaling me with tales, I'm still waiting on E33 and Luru to take me to the Bimini Bay Bar. Sounds like my kinda classy establishment.

:D Bimini Bay... now there's a.. well - just watch where you sit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:51 pm 
Avai Pukao

Personal Statement: pants off bottoms up
Wahine Magnet wrote:

That's not so much a speakeasy, it's just easy. And I've actually never been there.

And let us know when you're in town wentiki. Would love to see you at the Mai Kai or one of the speakeasys.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:28 am 
Honui Moai

Em'ale'a wrote:
JonTiki wrote:

I've always wanted to check out Apothecary 330. Can we go please?

Also - yes - I'm up for some speakeasy shenanigans!