The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"That's a first, having to take down the bamboo wind chime before a conference call."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mutiny Bar Detroit
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:44 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Let's get our Tiki on!!
Has anyone been to The Mutiny Bar in Detroit? Tricia and I are thinking about one last tiki road trip this weekend before she goes back to work next week. Would like some feedback if it's worth the 3 hour drive.

Post subject: Re: Mutiny Bar Detroit
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:55 pm 
Fellow Moai

It was a great weekend. Loud music at the Mutiny, very loud. We need a punch card for all the places we have been and all the places we still want to go. Tiki Bars & Treasure Hunts!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:25 pm 
Matu'u

Personal Statement: pants off bottoms up
tikitricia wrote:
It was a great weekend. Loud music at the Mutiny, very loud. We need a punch card for all the places we have been and all the places we still want to go. Tiki Bars & Treasure Hunts!!!

Awesome, would love to hear more and see any pics if you took any. I hadn't heard of Mutiny until now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:57 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Everyone loves boobs!
E33 wrote:
Awesome, would love to hear more and see any pics if you took any. I hadn't heard of Mutiny until now.

We go down there quite a bit. The cocktails are quite good. The bar is a former beer/shot joint and has a really cool old-time vibe. It is small. The decor is getting better (they are learning) and the staff has always been really cool to us. The digital jukebox is kinda a pet peeve of mine, but the age of the patrons is mostly 20-somethings and they seem to like it. Last time we were in there it was a lot of groups (a few bachelorette parties) and it was a fun atmosphere.

We are taking some visitors there next week and will try and get some pics to post.

If you're ever in Metro-Detroit, look me up. If I'm around, I'll gladly take you to SW Detroit!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:22 pm 
Fellow Moai

I’ll have to give y’all a heads-up when I’m in Detroit, but Mutiny is definitely a great joint in a town of good cocktail bars.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:44 am 
Tourist

When it first opened we loved it. Staff was awesome. We absolutely hate the damn jukebox - totally ruins the atmosphere. If you go, go when they first open to avoid the hipster crowd playing crap music on the jukebox. My recommendation is to skip Mutiny. Go to Sugar House for craft cocktails or Lost River for tiki.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:56 pm 
Fellow Moai

I did enjoy Lost River more. Better tiki vibe and I loved the big screen showing Fantastic Voyage!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:22 am 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Everyone loves boobs!
I'm going to amend my previous post and say that Mutiny has lost a step or two since our last visit.

We went on Friday night and feel like the place has stagnated. The same menu for the better part of a year. No improvements in the bar/atmosphere. Felt unkempt. That damn jukebox was blaring music that was wrong for a "tiki" bar and was actually really inappropriate to be played in public (GET OFF MY LAWN)!!

Now, the heart breaker... the drink quality wasn't what we were used to in the past. That was really sad. Whilst the bartenders we have gotten to know since opening were still welcoming and fun, the rest of the place is tired and losing its way.

There is a tiki marketplace this Sunday and I hope to have a chance to see the place in a different light, but Friday was disappointing.

I will say this... Lost River was a lot of fun. I don't know enough about the place to reliably provide information for you, but they really made a great first impression. Attentive staff. Great recommendations, neat decor. A rum team-up with Two James distillery (Dr. Bird finished in a vermouth cask... yum!) and display of Detroit-area tiki ephemera. They also had interesting food.

Only complaint... THEY WERE PLAYING LOUD RAP MUSIC. It just destroys the escapism vibe. GET. OFF. MY. LAWN. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Last edited by Shortround on Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:20 am 
Fellow Moai

Would like to try and make it up to Max's South Seas Hideaway before the end of the year. Would definitely be interested in going back to Lost River but not Mutiny.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:37 pm 
Fellow Moai

While in the Detroit area, check out the Village Lamp Shop in nearby Rochester. Lots of tiki, vintage and atomic designs