The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"I saw Doomscrolling Moai open for Apocalypso once"

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fellow Gardeners?
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:45 pm 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

The missus and I keep a little herb garden that is always finding its way into our cocktails.

Anyone out there like to garden?

Tonight I brought some lavender from the yard for the missus' gin and tonic. (earlier it was oregano and flowering cilntro)

Snifter, ice, gin, tonic, spank the herbs, smiles abound.

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Fellow Gardeners?
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:49 am 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: I'm pro-metric.
That's a lot of mint!!

I pretend to garden. I put some stuff in a pot and hope it doesn't die. Somehow I was even president of the neighborhood garden club at one point.

Anyways, I do grow some herbs on the back patio - rosemary, oregano, mint, parsley, and catnip. I've been pondering how to incorporate catnip into a tiki drink...

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:51 am 
Matu'u

Personal Statement: pants off bottoms up
My better half, LuRu, is way into gardening. Our backyard is Mai Kai gardens inspired, but when we all went on lockdown about 2 months ago, she started a serious vegetable garden. Concerned with iguanas (we're in South Florida as well), we built a garden coop. Basically a raised bed with a chicken wire enclosure. Now the veggies are starting to bloom and even seeing some tiny tomatoes and peppers starting. The coop is a good thing as we can see where the sweet potato has grown through the confines of the coop, all leaves outside are gone. I'll try to add some pics, but they're on her facebook and that's not always easy to post here.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:51 am 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

I turned my backyard into raised beds for vegetables a few years ago, but it has fallen into neglect. I had great fun growing everglade toms, little heirloom toms, poblanos, Amarillo peppers, habaneros, Jamaican cucumbers. Nothing back there but dirt and weeds now. One day! I shall return!

I grow hybrid hibiscuses in the front yard as I try to work on my own little porch of paradise within view of the bar. Because I can still apply some discipline to that little patch (before I leave for work, coming home from work) I moved herbs into that “zone of responsibility”. So far, so good!

Someday I’ll get some proper irrigation and then I can get the backyard ship shape again.

I raised butterflies for a couple of years, too. I feel your pain, Matu'u and LuRu! I had to build a nursery with two layers of steel cloth to keep the little Monarch caterpillars safe from the hordes of lizards. It was very rewarding, but my time is short these days. I look forward to getting back to it.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:47 pm 
Tourist

I've been reclaiming the garden bed of the duplex I rent. Used to have giant walnut trees, but apparently they touched some electrical wires and got cut down. It was then left to turn to nutsedge since the guy the property management company hired won't go in there with a lawnmower or weed whacker.

Currently got musa basjoo bananas (in pots), yellow strip bamboo (in pot), tomatillos, beets, radishes, a mint patch, the sorriest excuse for a rosemary plant you ever did see, some peppers and wild flowers.

I say I have this, but since its iowa, everything is about an inch high right now. I miss texas where I could grow year round.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:29 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Disney is my Happy Place
I've got my back patio surrounded by a flower garden, and it makes for a beautiful escape under the glow of the tiki torches and colored Philips Hue lighting. I've got parsley, basil, thyme, oregano, and rosemary growing among my flowers as well as elephant ears, tons of pansies and a bunch of other stuff right now. Over in the sunnier patches, I've got Roma and Bush Goliath tomato plants going in pots as well as Bush Pickle Cucumbers. As I said, I love to mix a cocktail at night, and just go out there and enjoy it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:16 am 
Chapter Tohunga

Personal Statement: Jungle Red!!!
I found a "Juice Plus Tower Garden" hydroponic system on Craigs List a few years back. I've always got mint in it for cocktails (and will be adding the pineapple mint you gave me!) along with some sage and dill. Just pulled my zucchini out of it after powdery mildew got the better of it and starting a few new seeds including Taragon, catnip, basil, and a few veggies

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:24 am 
Manawale'a Motuha

I wouldn't say that I enjoy gardening, but I love tropical flowers, so have a bunch of Plumeria & Hibiscus, which keep the yard very pretty. And also tons of MINT, of course & it's going crazy this year, which is awesome! I also have more than my fair share of succulents, as my mom is a Master Gardener & loves succulents, so they always seem to show up in cute & often vintage pots.

Latest fun has been buying dolls at thrift stores, ripping off their heads, giving them a lobotomy & planting in them. Oh, and trolls, too. Here are a few shots of those for fun.......these are on the front porch. All of the tropicals are confined to the backyard, unfortunately, due to huge numbers of deer in the neighborhood.

Attachment:
IMG_9057.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_9058.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:33 pm 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

Doc Aikane wrote:
I found a "Juice Plus Tower Garden" hydroponic system on Craigs List a few years back. I've always got mint in it for cocktails (and will be adding the pineapple mint you gave me!) along with some sage and dill. Just pulled my zucchini out of it after powdery mildew got the better of it and starting a few new seeds including Taragon, catnip, basil, and a few veggies

We have a pair of Aerogardens I need to bring back into service. Lots more mint where that came from if you need it!

Love that Tarragon on buttery carrots.

Princess Pupule wrote:
I wouldn't say that I enjoy gardening, but I love tropical flowers, so have a bunch of Plumeria & Hibiscus, which keep the yard very pretty. And also tons of MINT, of course & it's going crazy this year, which is awesome!

We grow those, too! Plumeria, Hibiscuses and Mint, oh my!

Princess Pupule wrote:
Latest fun has been buying dolls at thrift stores, ripping off their heads, giving them a lobotomy & planting in them. Oh, and trolls, too. Here are a few shots of those for fun.......these are on the front porch.

That's clever! I like it. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:56 pm 
Tourist

Commodore Oleo-Saccharum wrote:

We grow those, too! Plumeria, Hibiscuses and Mint, oh my!

Ever tried growing them from seed? I hear they're relatively easy and come up with random colors/patterns

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:42 pm 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

Kiani wrote:
Ever tried growing them from seed? I hear they're relatively easy and come up with random colors/patterns

I keep trying to cross-pollinate them. I haven't gotten any viable seed pods yet, but I have an area of the front yard set aside in my mind for the "island of misfit hibiscuses" that will eventually happen :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:59 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Cocktail anyone?
What kind of mint do you grow?

I've got 'Mojito Mint' (what ever that means) Sweet Mint, Spearmint and for fun Chocolate mint.

HD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:33 pm 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

handsomedevil wrote:
What kind of mint do you grow?

Presently "Mojito Mint", like you, Pineapple Mint and Chocolate Mint. :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:44 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Kungaloosh!
I also have pineapple, spearmint and mojito! After about 5 years of spreading I have no idea what's what. So every 3rd mai tai gets hit with an atomic mint blast, aka spearmint. Mojitos and missionaries downfall are similarly afflicted, but luckily I love mint.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:49 pm 
Tourist

Professor Pineapple wrote:
I also have pineapple, spearmint and mojito! After about 5 years of spreading I have no idea what's what. So every 3rd mai tai gets hit with an atomic mint blast, aka spearmint. Mojitos and missionaries downfall are similarly afflicted, but luckily I love mint.

HA!
I like that idea alot

theHD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:33 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Leopard is a neutral.
I have some mint that came with my house. I believe it is peppermint but I'm not sure. It works great in drinks and there's no blast so it must not be supermint. Haha...

I am also an avid gardener. We moved a year ago so I'm working on setting up the yard how I want it. This year I added 2 raised veggie beds and an herb bed with cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, okra, peppers, dill, sage, pineapple sage, lavender, basil, thyme, chard, kale, and green onions. I've also added 2 big beds of canna lilies (4 varieties), 2 musa basjoo bananas, loads of elephant ear, Althea (rose of sharon), zinnias, cosmos, and a brugmansia (angel's trumpet). Then there are all the tropicals in pots. Hahaha... Plumeria from seeds, hibiscus, flowering ginger, and my lemon tree. I'm sure there's more but that's all I can remember right now.

We have deer here so most of those are behind our bamboo fence in the back yard. The deer don't touch the brugmansia nor the elephant ear so they are out front.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:17 am 
Tourist

Wow. that's quite the garden!

I've just got 2 large barrels full of mint, 6 tomato plants, cucumbers that have climbed a 6' trellis (literally 87 flowers, not one cuke yet) and a couple pepper and zucchini.
Oh and a watermelon vine that is just being a vine ;)

HD