The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"Hey Chris and Carrots."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:38 pm 
Tourist

My home tiki bar [detached garage conversion] has reached a point where the principal designer/carver, Notch Gonzalez, whose work I highly recommend, is bugging me about giving it a name. He wants to post a few pictures of the work so far, and thinks it is about time that I dignify the place with a name. I've tossed around a few ideas for a year or so, but nothing really sticks. Part of the problem may be the evolution of the design. Originally it was going to be a beach bar theme, with lotsa surfboards and Beach Boys album covers and the like, along with a fair amount of tikis and tropical decor. Now, with Notch's influence on me, it is going to be almost all carvings and polynesiana. Essentially he's going for a sort of mini-Mai Kai [with a little bit of Tonga Room in the water features]. I'll still be able to sneak in a couple of items with a taste of "he who is not named around here, but whose name resembles an all you can eat restaurant with an extra t at the end".

So, I am trying to come up with and appropriate name for a garage tiki bar. To the extent that there is any particular theme to the place, it is coconut rum. I have sixty different brands from around the world, some as part of the bar stock and most long since emptied and part of the decor. Coconut drinks will definitely be a feature of the menu. Other than that, it is standard tiki decor, lotsa masks and carvings and lamps plus a couple of fountains and a couple of hunnert mugs.

Originally, when it was going to be more of a beach bar theme, Iwas considering some Aussie-related names like Southern Cross [my wife said it sounded like a country western white people's bar, at least to anyone who didn't know the reference] or Cottesloe Beach. Lately, a couple of people have recommended that I use a Hawaiian name, so I am considering variations on Rama Niu [means coconut rum or rum and coconut; I don't know Hawaiian grammer so I can't say which].

Anyway, would enjoy any helpful suggestions. Also, whatever the name ends up being, the garage will always welcome visitors. Come on by; we have a pretty good selection of rums besides the flavored stuff, and the locavore shelf has a thorough selection of St. George products, fortified dessert wines from Alameda vintners, and other booze from the Bay Area.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:17 pm 
Avai Rona

Personal Statement: Drink? Jet Pilot!!!
The Bounty mess?

Bligh's bar?

Tahitian peril?

Phaeton lounge?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:10 pm 
Honui Moai

Lucky Bastard Bar?

You know, since Notch is working on it :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:12 pm 
Honui Moai

Find your signature drink.
If it has a name, use that.
If you're making your own drink, then name your drink, and that's your bar.
Coconut based, apparently.
There's a world of coconut tiki drinks out there, as I'm sure you're aware.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:08 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: I see dead drunk people
If you're looking for an Aussie reference why not Halfa Bar - Aussie slang term for the effect of too many cocktails on your, well you figure it out.

For an Asian influence how about Taiwan On.

I'm curious about why you were thinking of an Aussie theme? Cottesloe is a great beach but Tamarama beach (near Bondi in Sydney) is unique as are its regulars - celebs and showgirl types where a bikini top is a rare sight.

Good luck with the naming.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:20 pm 
Tetu Tiki Gogoro

Personal Statement: Sorry in advance
Any name you give it has to come from you...and from the space itself...

I like the "Rama Niu" direction.

I'd say continue that way.

Drink a bunch of cocktails and it will come to you and have greater meaning than a bunch of us just throwing out names. The name will find you, not the other way around.

Mine was originally the Lava Lounge (due to a big volcano mural on one wall)... then it burned down, the mural was lost (and not repainted), and I didn't want fire in the name (no need to tempt Pele a second time) but liked the alliteration, so the Lono Lounge was born... and Sam Gambino designing the Lono with gargoyle wings... well, that was just the kicker that made it stick!

I'm why you can't have nice things

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:24 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Get big.
How the hell can we name it w/o seeing it? Would you name a kid without seeing it?
Well, probably but not something as important as this. We need pics.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:32 pm 
Tagata A'o

Personal Statement: Conch ceviche.
I agree. This is very serious business so it requires as much information as possible. Kids can change their names when they reach 18 if you screw that up but naming a bar is a one shot deal unless you are prepared to burn it down and start from scratch (not recommended).

The converted garage thing seems like a possible angle but depends on how it looks!

-Rev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:01 pm 
Kere

Thirded! Pics or the bar didn't happen..... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:08 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Live Life!
rev_thumper wrote:
I agree. This is very serious business so it requires as much information as possible. Kids can change their names when they reach 18 if you screw that up but naming a bar is a one shot deal unless you are prepared to burn it down and start from scratch (not recommended).

The converted garage thing seems like a possible angle but depends on how it looks!

-Rev

This is an excellent point. I went with "Bob's Tiki Bar" in a moment of panic on a party invite and now short of burning the place down and starting over it is the unimaginative name that will stick forever. Of course I also go by my actual name on here so I doubt I would have come up with anything witty anyways.

The good thing is my friends can spell it.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:12 pm 
Tourist

Quote:
I went with "Bob's Tiki Bar" in a moment of panic on a party invite and now short of burning the place down and starting over it is the unimaginative name that will stick forever. Of course I also go by my actual name on here so I doubt I would have come up with anything witty anyways.

The good thing is my friends can spell it.

It is to avoid a similar moment of panic or snap decision that I am seeking advice. Appreciate the good suggestions here.

chiwito

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:14 pm 
Tourist

pappythesailor wrote:
How the hell can we name it w/o seeing it? Would you name a kid without seeing it?
Well, probably but not something as important as this. We need pics.

Will do soon. Actually, having an identity and format to post pics is the main reason Notch has been pushing for a name. Good idea, though, pappy. I'll get it together to post the initial work in progress.

chiwito

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:22 pm 
Tourist

Bargoyle wrote:
Mine was originally the Lava Lounge (due to a big volcano mural on one wall)... then it burned down, the mural was lost (and not repainted), and I didn't want fire in the name (no need to tempt Pele a second time) but liked the alliteration, so the Lono Lounge was born... and Sam Gambino designing the Lono with gargoyle wings... well, that was just the kicker that made it stick!

Hmmmm, Pele-tempting names might not be ideal, given my history. My first post on FOoM was an acknowledgement of my unfortunate karmic tendency to cause tiki bars to close. One example cited was Tiki Tom's, where I had been very much a regular [even got married there] and used to practice my limited bartending skills on their customers. Finally, one employee who wanted more flexibility in her schedule talked me into going official so I could take shifts. I agreed, and before we could even discuss it with Tom the place promptly burned to the ground. What wasn't in that post was that I was the very last person there. I drove by about 11:00 p.pm, saw that it was closed because the electricity was out, and left. The alarm was turned in at 11:13. For all the teasing I've gotten ever since, it would probably be bad public relations as much as bad juju to have a name that brings back those memories.

chiwito

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:46 pm 
Tourist

Less is moai wrote:
If you're looking for an Aussie reference why not Halfa Bar - Aussie slang term for the effect of too many cocktails on your, well you figure it out.

I'm curious about why you were thinking of an Aussie theme? Cottesloe is a great beach but Tamarama beach (near Bondi in Sydney) is unique as are its regulars - celebs and showgirl types where a bikini top is a rare sight.

Good luck with the naming.

Twenty or thirty years ago, Halfa might have been amusing. Now though, at my age, and without my blue pills, any such reference is just embarassing.

Tamarama sounds like a very coolaceous place to be, and a good inspiration. With the tiki bar being about 15 feet from my wife's spa/hot tub, I can already think which future guests I'd hope would succumb to the subliminal influence of the name. However, if I gave the place such a name, and my wife ever found out why, my bar might wind up the subject of a custody dispute. Bummer.

chiwito

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:47 pm 
Tourist

the mighty OZ wrote:
Phaeton lounge?

Might be a dodgy name for anything connected to me, for the same reason given in my answer to Bargoyle.

chiwito

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:50 pm 
Tourist

chiwito wrote:
Bargoyle wrote:

Hmmmm, Pele-tempting names might not be ideal, given my history. My first post on FOoM was an acknowledgement of my unfortunate karmic tendency to cause tiki bars to close. One example cited was Tiki Tom's, where I had been very much a regular [even got married there] and used to practice my limited bartending skills on their customers. Finally, one employee who wanted more flexibility in her schedule talked me into going official so I could take shifts. I agreed, and before we could even discuss it with Tom the place promptly burned to the ground. What wasn't in that post was that I was the very last person there. I drove by about 11:00 p.pm, saw that it was closed because the electricity was out, and left. The alarm was turned in at 11:13. For all the teasing I've gotten ever since, it would probably be bad public relations as much as bad juju to have a name that brings back those memories.

chiwito

p.s. The only two things salvaged from the fire at Tiki Tom's were the mosaic tile mural on the outside front wall and one of the door handles. Both are now in my yard near the bar, possibly another reason to be leery of fiery name choices.

Last edited by chiwito on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:21 pm 
Avai Rona

Phaeton lounge refers to the largest bay on Tahiti.

The Bounty bar/lounge/mess refers to the mutiny on the HMS Bounty (again, Tahiti/South Pacific) as well as the coconut bar of the same name.

My lounge is the Kapu Cove due to the proximity to water, it's a "sacred" place in our home, and others are forbidden to be behind the bar without permission.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:15 am 
Tourist

the mighty OZ wrote:
Phaeton lounge refers to the largest bay on Tahiti.

Ah, I wasn't familiar with Port Phaeton, but I still suspect that naming my bar after a fiery chariot would cause bad memories and bad jokes among the Alameda tiki community.

Tahiti is a nice point of reference, however, since I try to serve a selection of Pacific island rums, including one from Tahiti, Noa Noa.

chiwito

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:39 pm 
Tagata A'o

chiwito wrote:
Tahiti is a nice point of reference, however, since I try to serve a selection of Pacific island rums, including one from Tahiti, Noa Noa.

There you go.... house rum angle.

-Rev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:26 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Dammit!
noa noa might be a good name for a tiki bar....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:33 pm 
Avai Rona

Noa:
Quote:
n. word free from negative connotation or taboo in a specific language

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:37 pm 
Tagata A'o

No idea if this is true or total b.s.

Quote:
The name Noa Noa means 'simple and harmonious' in Tahitian.

Sounds nice though!

-Rev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:41 pm 
Avai Rona

Just saw this on TripAdvisor.com

Quote:
I've been told by Tahitian friends that "noa noa" means "fragrant."
The single word "noa" means "only" or "one way."

I guess the fragrance could be coconut.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:14 am