The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"Hey Chris and Carrots."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi, we are Chip and Andy
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:53 am 
Kere

Personal Statement: Down with Pants!
Aloha to all, we are Chip and Andy. Our apologies for not having a better screen name, something more Tiki like, but it actually works out better this way. And, I am the Chip half of this relationship and I am the one that does most of the posting in forums like this. It is not that Andy is not vocal in her opinions, it is just that it is claimed I type better....

A bit about us: I would like to take this opportunity to make a distinction that may be important to any possible decisions concerning our being invited into the F.O.M and that is we are not so much into Tiki as we are into Aloha. Tiki is currently a synthesis of all things Polynesian with a heavy dose of popular culture. Tiki as a noun is an idol representing Man, or the First Man, but Tiki as an adjective is basically 'Poly-Pop.' To be clear, this is opinion, not judgement. The words may incite emotion, but until better words are available.... Andy and I are more interested in Aloha, more specifically O'Hana. Having all of the cool mugs and tiki's and music and whatever else you collect is really cool, but what good is it if you don't have someone to share it with? That is where our interest lies, in sharing with others, in teaching others what Tiki and Aloha are, in learning what Aloha and Tiki are to others, in talking story with the elders, in talking story to the young ones....That may sound a bit high-minded, or more likely a bit Hippy-ish and Free-loving, but that is where we are now in our love of all things Tiki. Back to us and our love of Tiki:

We have always had the call of the islands in us and since our honeymoon in Hawaii fourteen years ago we have been hooked. We have slowly been building a collection of things that remind of the Islands, things from the Islands, and generally anything related that makes us happy. We bought our first house six years ago and in those years have built what some have called South Florida's Bali-Hai. The most common description of our place is 'Magical.' We don't have the usually 'Tiki-Room' in the house, we prefer instead to put the house around Tiki. My mug collection is in the kitchen, our bar is in what the original house-plan was a dinning room, the back yard is an enchanting garden full of orchids and other tropical exotics ( the joy of being is South Florida). You can see some of the pictures on our website.

So, having said all of that, if you will have us we would be most honored to be counted among the memebers of the Fraternal Order of the Moai.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:28 am 
Nounou Moai

Chip and Andy are fantastic people!!! :D I met you guys at the Hukilau last year and visited your home during the Hukilau Home Bar Tour!!!! Fantastic place by the way and you guys were very gracious hosts.

I agree with you that we are more into the spirit of Aloha than we are with Tiki. Tiki is what brings all of us together. That and a good mai tai! :wink: It has brought us great joy and great friendships and continues to do so. It is truly the people first and foremost that really makes great Ohana!! :D

I am so glad you guys have stopped by to say hello. I think you would make great candidates for sponsership and would contribute greatly to the FOM!!

Thanks for the links to the pictures too!! Lots of good times in those photos!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:41 am 
Nounou Moai

Aloha Chip,
I have no idea how you can type after all the drinking we did last night. I'm hardly alive trying to type this. Welcome to the FOM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:58 am 
Nounou Moai

In fact, what the hell am i doing up this early?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:49 am 
Kere

AAAAAAAlllllllooooooooohhhaaaaaaaa. welcome. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:59 am 
Chapter Tohunga

Aloha Chip & Andy!! From you're intro, I think you'll like it here ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:08 pm 
Nounou Moai

Aloha and welcome aboard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:32 pm 
Nounou Moai

Great intro!
Happy to have you here, welcome to the Port!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:42 am 
Kere

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Tikiwahine, you seem a bit north for your Tagline? Or are you a reverse transplant? The Liver is Evil and Must Be Punished is the war cry of the Conch Republic. It is not theirs alone and I appreciate (and encourage) any and all who are adopting it because it is slowly becoming the subtittle of many of our life stories...... I am just wondering if you are a southern girl transplanted north?

Wait a minute..... Now that I have some coffee in me I am starting to remember......

Are YOU the ONE? The one I hear legends of? The Lady Rum Runner of the North? There is a legend about a Rhum Runner from the North that comes down once a year with a dog-sled caravan full of ice and snow and winter fruits and berries. The legend goes on about how this Runner from the North sleds in once a year and trades all of this snow and ice and winter fruits and berries for Rum, as much as the dogs can carry. It is said that the Rumrunner was created in her honor and was created using the snow and winter fruits and berries that she brought every year.

Thats You! Isnt it! :wink:

When the legend becomes reality, print the legend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:35 am 
Honui Moai

Aloha and welcome!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:58 am 
Nounou Moai

I've been know to run a little rum every now and then...

My island home rarely gets snow, being a zone 9 climate. The thought of running a dog sled through the border to bring rum to those in need definitely appeals to me.
I was born and raised here, yet feel a kinship to those east of me. Enjoying beverages is something that I, unfortunately, must most often do solo. Collecting exotic liquor and unavailable mixers has become a quest of mine. Just added ginger syrup, tamarind juice & Trader Vic's passion fruit syrup to the stocks.

I've heard word of your (in)famous mai tai, I'll have to give it a try soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:28 pm 
Hatu Matoa

Personal Statement: The Pythagoras of Love
Know you've just gotta get ahold of some of my nutmeg liqueur.

:wink:

Ahu

ferment the red bitters of love! 

I know heavens pierced by lightning, the waterspouts
and undertows and currents: I know night, 
Dawn rising like a nation of doves, 
and I've seen, sometimes, what men only dreamed they saw! 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:57 pm 
Nounou Moai

Ahu I have a whole bucket of whole nutmegs waiting to be made into liqueur!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:21 pm 
Hatu Matoa

Personal Statement: The Pythagoras of Love
Do you have the recipe? I think it is in a thread here somewhere. Be careful, that stuff can land you in the hospital psych ward if you screw it up.

Ahu

ferment the red bitters of love! 

I know heavens pierced by lightning, the waterspouts
and undertows and currents: I know night, 
Dawn rising like a nation of doves, 
and I've seen, sometimes, what men only dreamed they saw! 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:27 pm 
Nounou Moai

Great, I'll be able to join my cousin.
I'll track it down and mix some up, it's not like I'll be drinking the stuff straight(at least not more than an ounce at a time anyways)

Maybe I'll photo document the process, just for S & G

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:50 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Sleeps in hollow logs
Hey, I remember you guys!! It's been a while.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:09 pm 
Fellow Moai

:D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:42 pm 
Kere

The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
Hey, I remember you guys!! It's been a while.

It has been a while... what's new with you? How goes the teaching gig in Mexico?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:13 pm 
Honui Moai

I just quit, actually, things are really taking a nosedive there due to a change in the school's administration. The new people have a profound lack of vision. I'm also halfway through a masters degree in post-tonal composition, which I find challenging and rewarding. I'll need all that time just to make it through the program!

On the good side, on Monday I "auditioned" a new menu of mezcal-based martinis for a new menu at the local jazz venue. This is all part of my plan to get everyone hooked on good drinx.

And I'm continuing with my plan to subvert the regional orchestras with Esquivel and Exotica. So far it's working, there could be multiple concerts coming up this next year!

How are you all doing?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:23 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ouch!
Quality beverage service and jazz is always a better direction than narrow minded administration/management.

Does that mean will will be seeing more mixology videos with fine musical soundtracks? I think sound production quality is the big difference between the good and bad on that platform.

Sent from somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:20 pm 
Honui Moai

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to doing more of those, but they don't seem as popular as the music stuff. Also, there's the question of what language to do the video in; about 75% of my audience on Youse-toobs is Mexican, but I don't think they are as into the cocktail videos.

I got a bit sidetracked with all the other work, for the masters degree and teaching, and the Jazz festival, and just haven't had the time to do more of those, but now that you mention it, there certainly is room for more of those. I shot one over the summer at Jack Fetterman's place, but haven't had the chance to edit it yet. It's the Garrett Richards Mai Tai, so a pretty interesting take on that drink, and certainly not bad!

As you know, for the soundtracks, I always use proprietary Waitiki material. As much as possible, the stuff that isn't necessarily on recent albums. That keeps it interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:39 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ouch!
Do them in Spanish. Mid western hipsters have enough cocktail videos out there.

And... My southern California Spanish needs the practice. I've been watching some of the Mexican cooking videos. They seem to have as many subscribers or more than the equivalent 'Merkin ones.

Sent from somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:00 pm 
Honui Moai

Cool, will do. I think the one at Jack's place was done in English. I may be able to get that one up over the holidays. I'll be at the suegros ("in-laws") for a bit, and other than eat and chat, there's not much to do there (Jáltipan is a very small town, in the south of Veracruz, and other than some amazing regional food, there isn't much going on). I'm sure I'll be able to catch up on a few things.

I should see about doing a video of those new mezcal martinis at Cauz, the jazz spot. I'm sure it would make for a better production value than what I do here at home. And it would be in Spanish! With a live audience, if we do it for the menu launch!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:49 pm 
Kere

Personal Statement: cromagnon ohio thugs
Chip, The Mayor seems to be caught in some sort of temporal python.

Can you check with FOM Test Labs and see if one of the test monkeys got into the liquor cabinet again?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:10 pm 
Honui Moai

You know, it's a good thing you asked. I consulted the googler, which revealed this image of a test monkey who not only had escaped this time plane, and found a portal to Italy, but had somehow endeared himself through his imbibing habits to some Italian ad execs from the 1920s. I find this to be completely irregular and in need of remedy.

The only thing is to find the tail of the temporal python and pull it ever so gently so as to free Chip so that he can address the temporal rift caused by the test monkey escape. And all before 5pm tomorrow.

Attachment:
Test monkey liquor.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.