The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"You have strong opinions and like to drink."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aloha!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:52 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Love is the Law...
Hello, my name is Andrew. I live in Minneapolis, the only Tiki Bar around here is Psycho Suzi's Motor Lounge. I have been aware of your order for some time now but have only decided to join the forums this evening. Fraternal organizations are of interest to me and I already belong to a few of them. The feeling of community that members of these organizations receive in fellowship with others of similar interests, is a seldom known reward for many people these days. Although I don't wish to declare intent today I would like to introduce myself to the Moai. I'm looking forward to learning more about the order and what it is all about. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Aloha!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:20 am 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Did someone say rum?
Welcome to the forum! It's an interesting place for sure. Have you been to any other Tiki locations? My wife and I have started to search for bars and restaurants when we travel because you never know what you'll find!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:36 am 
Tourist

Sadly, I do not travel a whole bunch. However, before I was even old enough to drink I had an older edition of "The Joy of Cooking" which included the recipes for many popular tiki drinks. There was a phase out of high school which a friend and I were making Zombies while the others were still mixing whiskey or rum and cokes. When I did become of age I had a skilled bartender make my first Zombie which tasted much better than the ones I had been making.

It wasn't until Psycho Suzi's opened that Minneapolis had a tiki bar ( at least that I am aware of.)

I would like to do some more exploring other places now that I am getting older and have more choice about where I go. To tell you the truth, I have mostly only had the chance to travel for business and having cocktails was never something I could do. When traveling for pleasure I have only been able to visit Utah for any real length of time. Utah isn't or at least wasn't much of a place for drinking culture, let alone tiki culture. Mostly hiking in the desert.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:26 am 
Matato'a

Personal Statement: WTFIBB
Aloha Cup156!

A toast to Roger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:42 am 
Manawale'a Avahata

Personal Statement: Uptown funk you up
Welcome to the Port!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:07 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: what? no uncomfortable silence?
Aloha from Vermont!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:30 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: I once spoke with Elvis
Aloha and welcome :!:

Aaaaah Psycho Suzi's.... Sustaining Mental Health in Nordeast Minneapolis Since 2003 :thumbsup:

MmmmK, Sit back and relax...

My Psycho Suzi's Story:

I will never forget my first visit to PS many years ago. Visiting my wife's crazy friend Molly who lives in the area. Always game for anything, she braved a snow storm to drive us there. I walk in and the first thing I see is a big neon sign over the bar expressing one of the wisest proverbs ever ...

"Your petty concerns of authenticity are irrelevant."

I knew I was in the right place! We had many drinks, met some truly unique and diverse natives and, as advertised, "shady characters" who showed us the true nature of Minnesota hospitality... it did not disappoint... unlike Molly.
Molly underestimated the power of her "dash of voodoo" infused rum-spiked punch :drunk: ...just around the time the snow storm turned into a blizzard.
As she slid from the barstool to the floor I realized I was the most sober one to drive us home.. in the blizzard.

I'm a Floridian...

I drove a few times in the snow in Alaska but... it was alway a heavy government work truck with chains and never in white out thunder-snow blizzard after a Crummy Scoundrel, a One Eyed Willy, a Miserable Bastard and maybe something else.

This was different!

We did not have GPS on our phone back then... Molly was struggling to form a coherent sentence that included things like ... directions to get back to her house... in the blizzard. :|

A 20 minute drive turned into a 60 minute odyssey through the Valley of Death... sideways.

it was awesome ! :fez:

From that day forward I have adopted these wise words; "Your petty concerns of authenticity are irrelevant" and have seen them through a rum fogged lens and worn them as a cloak all these years at every tiki event I have ever attended.

Next time we visit Molly we will give you a heads up so you can either join us... or hide.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:46 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ouch!
Aloha!

I found my way to Psyco Suzie's on a trip to Red Wing, Minnesota (which scored me a Red Wing Trader Vic mug and some awesome boots, btw).

I seem to remember the weather being a dry cold...

Sent from somewhere exotic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:29 am 
Tourist

Foredeckape---A dry cold. The inverse side of bipolar Minnesota weather. The other being humid summer heat.

Psycho Suzi's is quite a place. It has two sibling bars in the area. Betty Danger's Country Club is one of them and now sits at the location of the original Psycho Suzi's. It has a ferris wheel and a mini golf course.

Donny Dirk's Zombie bar is on the other side of the river in a place that used to be called Stand Up Frank's.

The current Psycho Suzi's is in the building that used to be called Gabby's by the River and before that it was called Wig and Bottle.

Bohemian--- I noticed your location says swamps of sorrysota. I was wondering if you hailed from this neck of the woods. Yes, if you do meet up with your friend from nordeast it would be cool to meet up for a drink or two.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:31 am 
Tourist

... and thank you all for your greetings. I'm still learning quite a bit from reading so many posts on this forum. It is good to be in good company.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:49 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ouch!
Cup156 wrote:
... and thank you all for your greetings. I'm still learning quite a bit from reading so many posts on this forum. It is good to be in good company.
Most of the good stuff was redacted by the Test Labs Temporal Incident Time Squad in 2147ce when they started allowing clones to use the break rooms on weekends and holidays. But, the main story line is all there. It's kind of like a Best Of 8-track from the gas station with two extra aluminum splices.

Sent from somewhere exotic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:18 pm 
Matu'u

Personal Statement: Conch ceviche.
bohemiann wrote:
"Your petty concerns of authenticity are irrelevant."

That is truly awesome.

-Rev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:17 pm 
Fellow Moai

Cup156 wrote:
Hello, my name is Andrew. I live in Minneapolis, the only Tiki Bar around here is Psycho Suzi's Motor Lounge.

Aloha. I used to live near there, although that was way before Psycho Suzi's. I'm overdue for a visit.