The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"A big Okonkuluku to all of you."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:14 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Shark? What Shark?
Aloha from North Florida! Today I express my intent to begin the journey to become a Fellow Moai!

A little about myself: I am keenly interested in all things Tiki and midcentury American culture. I am a lifelong native son of the Sunshine State who absolutely loves everything to do with Mother Ocean -- lifelong surfer, etc. etc. and the natural environment of my beloved (and beleaguered) home state. As a child of the Space Age, I had an early and very profound exposure to Tiki culture and it has stayed with me and sustained me through life's peaks and valleys.

I am profoundly happy to have found this group... not only for the hidden knowledge that I suspect it may (or may not) contain, but mainly because the focus of this group is towards service to our fellow beings and spreading the Aloha spirit -- a task that I take very seriously.

Others have been asked similar questions, so I'll open up a lil' bit and try to answer some in advance....

1. Favorite Tiki Drink: a properly made Zombie
2. Favorite Rum: That's like asking me which of my children I like best. Ok, I only have one kid.... but if it were twenty-five kids I'd have to admit that my current favorite would be Pampero Aniversario
3. Favorite Pie: As a Floridian I should say Key Lime. I'm also a fan of coconut cream (whipped up by Mary Ann) and I also make a kick-ass Loquat Tart (from my own tree, Huzzah! ... ok, it's a tart but that is sort of pie, is it not?)
4. Favorite Tiki Bar: The Bamboo Luau in Jacksonville. Sadly, it closed many, many moons ago -- but since it opened my eyes to everything "Polynesian Pop" as a wide-eyed six year old I must pay it homage... between that and the Polynesian Resort at WDW it was my initiation to all things Tiki

Other than that, I wish to learn the craft of actually learning to create Tiki art (especially carvings) and hopefully passing the love of this unique part of our culture (well, certain - ahem - "Non-Spirited" - parts of it at least) to my students. Modern kids could certainly use less mind-numbing programming and more 'Aloha' in their Fortnight-driven world.

Mahalo my sisters and brothers!
Niuhi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:26 am 
Honui Moai

Location: 7.5 miles west of the Mai-Kai. Wishing I lived within stumbling distance of it.
Welcome Niuhi Tiki.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:30 am 
Manawale'a Avahata

Personal Statement: Uptown funk you up
Aloha and welcome!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:38 pm 
Chapter Tohunga

Welcome ! Have you had the honor of meeting one of in person yet?

We have some great friends in Florida :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:50 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: I once spoke with Elvis
Aloha Niuhi Tiki !

Welcome to our shores. the Florida Chapter is called Gumbo Limbo and although based in Ft Luaderdale, we have members all over Florida including Orlando and here in Sarasota where RoboTiki and I are. If you ever are in these areas we hope you reach out to us for a drink and let us show you our local Tiki flavors.

Meanwhile... pull up a palm log and comb the ports beach.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:19 pm 
Fellow Moai

Aloha and welcome to our rummy shores!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:46 pm 
Tourist

19ish short years and hopefully I’ll be able to head down there permanently and join you all haha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:14 am 
Nounou Moai

Aloha and welcome!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:52 am 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: #LeaveNoTikiBehind
Welcome! Loquat tart sounds interesting, would love to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:55 am 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Leopard is a neutral.
Aloha!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:45 am 
Avai Rona

Personal Statement: Drink? Jet Pilot!!!
Aloha and Welcome!

I used to frequent the NAS Jacksonville (Orange Park) area as well as the Mayport area. I don’t get up there much any more but a couple of friends still live in Jacksonville and Amelia Island.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:51 pm 
Tourist

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I am very excited to participate on this forum -- to be honest, I'm not much of a 'forum hound' and generally stay away from such... but this group seems pretty darned special :D

@ OZ: (laughing) I live right by NAS Jax and primarily surf at the Mayport "poles" (one of the better spots in North Florida)... really appreciate all that the Navy contributes to our community and our nation. I've taught plenty of kids who have served in our armed forces in every branch ... including one who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country... so I am very cognizant of what y'all do for us each and every day and I thank you for your service -- whether you are active duty or retired. I also had the joy of growing up in Fernandina Beach when I was a kid (middle school through high school) and it was an AMAZING place to be a youngster...though quite undeveloped compared to today. Don't know if you have been there lately... Yulee exploded with growth... went there last week and laughed when I got stuck in traffic...In YULEE of all places. If you are ever up this way again, give me a holler - I'd love to meet ya.

@ bohemiann: I certainly will reach out when I am down there! I usually go to S. Florida a couple of times a year -- mainly to Orlando ( we're getting annual passes to WDW for one last hurrah before my kid graduates from high school ) but sometimes to Tampa/St.Pete. Haven't been to Sarasota in many years.... trying to recall if it is St. Pete or Sarasota that has/had the MidCentury Modern House tour every year. Would love to see that. Do you happen to know if there are any members up here in N. Florida ? I looked at the map of the Gumbo Limbo chapter and noticed that its' Northern border was - it looks like - Ocala, but I don't know how fluid that boundary is ....

@ antipants... nope, not yet, but I hope to rectify that soon :D

@ wintiki -- heaven on Earth! now, if I can just keep the squirrels out of my tree... I think they love them as much as I do!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:42 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Let's get our Tiki on!!
Aloha!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:36 pm 
Avai Rona

Niuhi-Tiki,

Since you are into the Jax surf, you may know a fellow pilot, and local surfer and kite surfer, Tim Nash. We often fly together and he stashes his gear various places to take advantage of the seasons.

Look forward to meeting you either in my travels north or when you make it south.
OZ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:12 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: 1sour2sweet 3strong 4weak
Aloha from an EX-Jax guy. Still have a house in San Jose. For OZ, do you know Brad Rohrs?

https://www.facebook.com/jim.burton.5439
Instagram: @therumlocker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:48 pm 
Avai Rona

JimmieB, Sorry, I don't know him. He's a Captain flying 737's on domestic routes out of DC (I looked him up), and I'm an FO, flying 767's Internationally out of Miami. The probability we would cross paths is very low.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:24 pm 
Tourist

OZ, just a shot. He's a classmate and we're in the same tailgate group. I'm a former Jax H-3 bubba

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:38 pm 
Avai Rona

I was AOCS Class 20-85, GySgt Holtry. Started flight training in July 85 (VT-3), wings in July 86 (VT-28). Various P-3’s: VP-30 (FRS/RAG), VP-48, VAQ-33, VP-66, VQ-11, JAX SIM Instructor (VP-30), USJFCOM, USSOUTHCOM, 5th Fleet then back to USSOUTHCOM to retire in 2012.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:59 pm 
Tourist

We were in Jax at the same time. I had lots of P-3 friends. Ed O'Brien, John Schneider, Bill Moran, Greg Miller, Boomer Eliot... all a bit older, but the same Jax vintage.
Me: USNA 79.. Helo wings in 81... Jax.. Jax... PEP tour to UK... Jax, Jax, Montgomery AL, Pentagon, Reitre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:20 pm 
Tourist

Welcome! I grew up in Jacksonville! Looks like several people here have some kind of Jax connection, how fun! Moved away in 2003 but still go back at least once a year to visit family. I still cheer on the Jaguars from here in Texas even though it can be a daunting task! Fingers crossed Nick Foles can bring back some hope!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:21 pm 
Tourist

@OZ

-- I actually know two "Tims" in the lineup @ the places in Jax I normally surf... I'll have to get their last names next time I see 'em... that would be funny if one of them is actually your friend. Anytime you are up here let me know - I'd love to meet you.... I will contact you if I am down in your neck of the woods anytime soon - I usually try to travel a little bit over the summer but I have accepted a summer school position this year so I will probably be working -- come hunting season I hit central FL quite a bit more .

@ Maiden -- a LOT of people pass through Jax -- if you are ever back here look me up! I, too , am hopeful for the Jags this season, but my hope is tempered by many years of bitter experience, hahahhaha I usually pull for the Jags UNLESS they are playing my one true love... the RAIDERS... then my "true colors" come out. Unfortunately, they too have tested my spirits as of late

Last edited by Niuhi-Tiki on Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:35 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Aperture Science
Greetings and Salutations. We don't usually get up to Jax, but we're trying to get up to Orlando and Tampa a bit more.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage