The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"Clarity, transparency, and a good Mai Tai. If I were running for office, that would be my slogan."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:41 am 
Tourist

Well, we had been kind of holed up in our house for 2 years because, other than the one room we were basically living in, the other rooms were either under construction, or holding all the crap from the room under construction. With 4 rooms now complete, we had a little breathing room so we decided to knock out a quick guest room. While we didnt want to get to extravagant on a room that wont be used frequently, it still had to live up to the tiki standard of the rest of the house. Thats a pretty high bar. So we picked a room, cleaned it out and got started......

We started with carpeting and paint, and while that was getting done we found this amazing Bamboo bed on Craigslist. The good thing about tikifying anything here in the midwest is, if you can find it, its usually pretty cheap. Theres just not a big calling for bamboo here in Hoosier countryside, and those who have it, are just as delighted to part with it as we were to find it. Of course unless your reading this, in which case you would NEVER part with such a priceless piece of tropical finery. So, one bamboo bed, minus the Hoosier buyers remorse discount and we were looking at 100 dollars out the door. I dont know who was happier, us or the seller. lol.
ImageImageImage

We added a couple of lovely thatched bamboo nightstands. What the midwest lacks in bamboo, the internet shall provide. lol.

Remembering a time long long ago, I went into the attic and dug out this pair of 1970s bamboo lamps. Needless to say, they were pretty worn. The bamboo was dried out and in many places cracking and tearing. Something had to be done but I wasnt sure what. Im not a refinisher. Anyway, I had used this magic ointment on several things organic and non over the years and I saw no reason why it couldnt come to the rescue in this case. I reached for my big quart jar of..........Coconut Oil! Yes, a soft sponge and a couple hours later and the lamps had been restored to their former beauty. They soaked up a lot of oil, so I let them sit for a day or two outside and dry a bit. They ended up greaseless to the touch, with no signs of over saturation. Coconut Oil to the rescue once again. On top of that, the lamps smell great. lol. I love this stuff.
ImageImageImageImage

As usual, we finish the room off with tropical foliage and some indirect lighting.

Dim the lights.......

Simple, Tropical, and better than any local motel room your guests could stay in. (at least around here anyway).
The Bam Boudoir....................only at The Lovedart Lounge.............Were not on the map for a reason.

Last edited by JohnnyLovedart on Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:23 am, edited 13 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:46 am 
Tourist

Next up, we give you an update on our tiki bar, The Lovedart Lounge. Dormant for 3 years, its transformation begins. We have a lot to work with, but its time to take it up a notch. After all, this is where the cocktails get mixed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:45 am 
Tourist

Personal Statement: "I drank what?"
Woah! That bed was a sweet find.

Have you considered a bit of mosquito netting over the top/down the back? It would definitely lend more of a tropical feel.

“The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy also mentions alcohol. It says that the best drink in existence is the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, the effect of which is like having your brains smashed out with a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick.”

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:46 pm 
Fellow Moai

Really really love that bed frame ! I love the simple accents in the final result. I really want to put colored bulbs in those lights..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:51 am 
Kere

The uplighting is the magic touch. It really gives a great look.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:33 am 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Among the Fallen
Wahine Ina wrote:
The uplighting is the magic touch. It really gives a great look.

Agreed. I’ve use philips hue Go portable lights before so we can have any color or brightness and can move them around at will.

Now I’ve got to start hunting for a bamboo bed. That thing is awesome.

-Big Bad Voodoo Daddy