The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"So if you prank call yourself, is that considered Meisterbation?"

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:53 pm 
Tourist

:fez: Well we have our new citrus press ready to go, now we need an ice crusher, a good one. One thats quick, easy to use, easier to clean. I summon the wisdom of the Moai, to guide me to the land of frozen taste buds and tropical brain freezes. What is......The best Ice Crusher to buy? By the way, now that I think about it, do I need an ice crusher, or an ice shaver, or both? Do they have anything that does both? Should I just buy a mallet and a bag and not worry about it? lol.

Last edited by JohnnyLovedart on Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:52 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: "I drank what?"
I've got an old-school Dazey bolted to my bar (this is a stock photo, mine is teal and copper). Crushes ice either coarse or fine with a minimum of effort.

Never runs out of power as long as you can turn the crank. LOL. Plus, in my case, it was original to the MCM house (came bolted to the bar when we bought the place).

You can find them on eBay or etsy for about $30

I've never felt the need to upgrade to something newfangled or powered.

“The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy also mentions alcohol. It says that the best drink in existence is the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, the effect of which is like having your brains smashed out with a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick.”

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:20 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ouch!
Oster Snowflake.

It is a hammer mill design.

Sent from somewhere

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:13 am 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: In everything: Balance
Jeff Berry swears by the Waring Pro IC70 Professional Stainless Steel Large-Capacity Ice Crusher.

I have one too and it is awesome.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:15 am 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: In everything: Balance
As for a shaved ice machine this is my recommendation: Little Snowie 2 Ice Shaver - Premium Shaved Ice Machine and Snow Cone Machine

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:36 am 
Tourist

Well its obvious that one device just wont do. The good news is, Im going to end up with 4 bars in my house so opportunity knocks. The first thing I decided was I wanted at least one device to be vintage. It took only 10 minutes to find a NEW IN THE BOX Oster snowflake. It looks like it just came off the shelf and it has all the original manuals and documentation. That will go in the main bar in the garage. Im going to put a shaver in the house and a heavy duty electric crusher outside on the deck. Still looking at those. Thanks for all the help everyone. :fez:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:53 pm 
Avai Rona

Personal Statement: Drink? Jet Pilot!!!
We have an Ice-O-Matic that we used until we got our new fridge. Since that has an incorporated ice maker/crusher, that's what we normally use. :roll:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:37 pm 
Avai Pukao

Personal Statement: pants off bottoms up
I have several of the vintage hand crank ice crushers. The snowflake is way better. However, I've pretty much switched to a big wooden hammer and a Lewis bag. It's quicker and easier.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:22 pm 
Fellow Moai

We've been through a few of the vintage Oster snowflake crushers and liked them but after a year or two of use the motors seem to struggle to keep up.. and since they are vintage you never know how much life the motor has left in it. About a year ago we upgraded to a Waring Pro we found used on Craigslist. It works the best of the crushers we have tried but it can still be a bit temperamental. You have to slowly feed it ice and not just dump a ton of it in there at a time or it will jam. Also it does not like ice that has been hanging out in a bag or cooler and started to melt.. if the ice is too melted it will also cause the metal crushers inside to freeze up and jam. Once you learn its quirks it is a good crusher. I'm sure the hand crank ones work great if you are making a drink or two but I wouldn't want to stand in the kitchen cramping for a long time to provide enough crushed ice for a party or even for more than a few drinks at a time. About once a week we will bring out the Waring Pro and crush a bunch of ice to keep in the freezer to have it easily on hand for drinks. If we are throwing a party we start a week before crushing ice as our icemaker fills up and bag it to have large amounts on hand for the party.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:33 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ouch!
The earlier Oster has a little bit better motor. They can be serviced. Food service grease, NSF, and motor brushes are the most you'd need.

The Waring freezes up and jams too much for me. Mine has been in storage since it pissed me off. Someday. I see if I can modify it to make it more reliable. If I recall, it has spurs similar to the crushers in refrigerator doors.

Oster has an ice crusher blender attachment. If you were one of the Lucky ones who picked up one of the awesome vintage Oster blenders at the Ohana Luau at the Lake Silent Auction, keep your eye open for one. It uses the rotating bars, and not the hammer mill.

The Rivel crushers are another option. They are small and would look cute on a home bar. They use rotary bars, too.

My favorite manual ice crusher is a canvas bag sewn from 12oz canvas duck and a hard maple club.

Someday, I'll have a nugget/Pepsi/Sonic ice machine like the cool kids and not have to fettle with ice crushing.

Sent from somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:41 pm 
Fellow Moai

A canvas bag and mallet are a good way to go. With a little practice you can adjust the resulting size to your preference. The canvas also absorbs moisture, so you're not adding extra water to your drink.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:16 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: "I drank what?"
MolokaiMaiden wrote:
I'm sure the hand crank ones work great if you are making a drink or two but I wouldn't want to stand in the kitchen cramping for a long time to provide enough crushed ice for a party or even for more than a few drinks at a time.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

You'd be surprised. I can fill an entire gallon sized ice bucket full of crushed ice in about 3-4 minutes - which, generally speaking, is all I ever need for an evening's worth of entertaining.
That said, I rarely entertain more than two other couples (possibly with kids in tow).

But if I were to go at it for 30 min I could easily crush enough ice to fill my entire freezer. The rotating arm of the crusher is relentless, and never jams.
Of course, I'm fat and lazy and glad for the small 'workout' (LOL) said manual crusher provides. ;) It's about the only exercise I get, apart from juicing citrus.

“The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy also mentions alcohol. It says that the best drink in existence is the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, the effect of which is like having your brains smashed out with a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick.”