The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"You can't test yourself out of quarantine, but you can drum your way through it."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:09 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Kaʻapuni Hauʻoli
As I mentioned briefly in my Announcement of Intent (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22900), I have developed an interest in the music of Hawaii during our three trips to the islands. Initially, this consisted of acquiring CDs by the well-known local superstars (Iz, Ukulele Jake) but we also found some worthwhile compilations.
On our trip to Maui (see viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23005) we were introduced to Slack-Key Guitar by the proprietor of a B&B where we stayed, so we picked up more music (Jeff Peterson, compilations).
Our next (most recent) trip included the Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Festival in our itinerary - this was a really nice concert, held in a park in Ewa Beach, where 20 musicians played individually and in various combinations; the fact that it was free meant that there were many local families in attendance. It was a great introduction to many musicians. We will absolutely work this into any future trips.
Here are a few recommendations…

(first, a few books…)
Kīkā Kila, How the Hawaiian Steel Guitar Changed the Sound of Modern Music by John W. Troutman (the history of Hawaii and Hawaiian music have had some astonishing influence on other modern music) (University of North Carolina Press)
The 'Ukulele, a History by Jim Tranquada and John King (no relation) (University of Hawaii Press)
The Ukulele: A Visual History by Jim Beloff (Backbeat Books)

(now for some music recommendations...)
Hulaland: The Golden Age of Hawaiian Music (an interesting compilation of Hawaiian and Hawaii-themed music (4 CDs) with 100 page book - mostly illustrations)
Legends of the Ukulele, Volumes 1 & 2
Legends of the Hawaiian Steel Guitar
Slack Key Guitar, Volumes 1 & 2
• Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole - Facing Future; E Ala Ē; N Dis Life
• Jake Shimabukuro - Gently Weeps; Grand Ukulele (well-known ukulele virtuoso)
• Brittni Paiva - Four Strings: The Fire Within (among others) (ukulele virtuoso - and other instruments) (check out "Europa" on YouTube)
• Ra'iatea Helm - He Leo Huali (among others)
• Lyle Ritz (yeah, the bass player from the wrecking crew) - Plays Jazz Ukulele (compilation of How About Uke + 50th State Jazz)
• John King - Bach: Partita No. 3, BWV 1006 for Unaccompanied Ukulele; Royal Hawaiian Music
• Paul Togioka - Aikane Kuikawa (slack key guitar player - we met him at the fest and later crashed a wedding where he was performing)
• Jeff Peterson - Slack Key Guitar; Slack Key Travels (plus others)
• Hula Girls - Curse of the Tiki; Jungle Beach Party (hula-billy, not Hawaiian)

more steel guitar music (also not Hawaiian - I'll have to do some more exploring in this area)
• Jerry Byrd - Byrd's Expedition (one of the masters of the lap steel)
• Jeremy Wakefield - Steel Guitar Caviar (steel player for the Lucky Stars (so cal western swing))
• Mike Neer - Steelonious (as the title suggests, the music of Thelonius Monk performed on a steel guitar - volume two in the works)
• The Vanduras - In the Dark (surf music)

These are a few of our favorites. Let me know of any recommendations.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:14 am 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: In everything: Balance
Kika Kila Meets Ki Ho'alu

Ho'Omana'o I Na Mele O Ka Wa U'i Remembering the Songs of Our Youth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:30 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Kaʻapuni Hauʻoli
Thanks for the tip. I'll add them to my list.

Update ...
Acquired both of these; great recommendations - THANKS!
Incidentally, the Tau Moe family are described extensively in Kīkā Kila - their adventures during their half-century tour were incredible.

Last edited by Paniolo Paul on Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:46 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: ... downright heathenish.
Love the list of Hawaiian music! I’ve been collecting LPs with tiki/Hawaiian recordings, and there’s some great (and odd) vintage recordings out there. :-). Some of the more odd recordings include Hank Snow’s “Snow in Hawaii” or “A Latin from Manhattan in Hawaii” by Ernie Warren or “Paradise of Promise” a Christian Hawaiian album ... it’s fun.

Thanks for sharing your recommendations.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:18 am 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: #LeaveNoTikiBehind
There's a few thousand Hawaii Calls recordings drifting out into space. If you like a bit of history with your aloha, try to catch a few. Good road trip soundtrack.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:06 am 
Chapter Tohunga

Personal Statement: Jungle Red!!!
Thanks for the list - I look forward to exploring many of the names I've never seen before