The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"Hey Chris and Carrots."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:11 am 
Kere

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/50760437

What better spot to have Olympic Surfing!

"Paris 2024 Olympic organisers have said the surfing competition will take place in Tahiti - 9,760 miles (15,700km) from the French capital.

The move is subject to validation from the International Olympic Committee, but if approved, athletes will compete on the French colony's Teahupo'o wave in the South Pacific.

Tahiti has been chosen in preference to beaches in south-west France and in Brittany.

Surfing makes its debut at Tokyo 2020.

The French Polynesian island is a 22-hour fight from Paris, and a flight could cost around £2,000 at peak summer prices in 2020.

Tahiti, which is 10 hours behind Paris, is used as a location for the men's World Surf League circuit and Teahupo'o is renowned for being one of the world's biggest waves.

"It's an extremely pleasant surprise and recognition for our history that will restore honour to Polynesia, where surfing began," said Lionel Teihotu, the president of Tahiti's surfing federation.

In a tweet, Paris 2024's organisers thanked the other candidate cities - Biarritz, Lacanau, Les Landes and La Torche - for their "strong nominations"."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:42 pm 
Chapter Tohunga

Personal Statement: Beware the moon, David.
That's pretty amazing. It will make for some beautiful Olympic surf footage for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:23 am 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: ... downright heathenish.
Should be beautiful! Whenever I see the pictures of the waves, it’s so amazing. Not a surfer, but love photography, and I’m psyched to see the location this spring. I’m visiting Teahupoʻo on Tahiti in May. If you’ve been there and have any advice for what to see, please let me know! Mahalo.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:08 pm 
Tourist

I can't wait to watch Olympic surfing. Two things I love to watch. One day, I hope to attempt to surf.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:41 pm 
Honui Moai

Location: 7.5 miles west of the Mai-Kai. Wishing I lived within stumbling distance of it.
tiki-tom-tom wrote:
Should be beautiful! Whenever I see the pictures of the waves, it’s so amazing. Not a surfer, but love photography, and I’m psyched to see the location this spring. I’m visiting Teahupoʻo on Tahiti in May. If you’ve been there and have any advice for what to see, please let me know! Mahalo.

We were on the opposite side of the island in Pape'ete. If you make it there the pearl museum is amazing.