The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"Hey Chris and Carrots."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:38 pm 
Fellow Moai

Dear wide world of tiki wisdom,
I am going to Asheville NC in a few weeks. Does anyone know if there is a legit Mai Tai to be had in those parts?
Gracias,
El Dano

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:24 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: I'm pro-metric.
There's the Asheville Yacht Club (https://ashevilleyachtclub.com/) which has tikis inside and tiki drinks. It's been a few years since I've been there, but my husband's Navy Grog was undrinkable, and wasn't a Navy Grog. I have heard that the drinks of gotten better, but it's more of a drive bar. I suggest sticking with the craft beer and get a pitcher of tater tots.

I've heard good things about the Storm Rhum Bar (https://www.stormrhumbar.com/). The drink menu online looks legit.

Top of the Monk (https://topofthemonk.com/) is another good bar to visit. It's more craft cocktails than tiki, but they usually have at least one tiki drink on their menu.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:04 pm 
Fellow Moai

I can vouch for Top of the Monk. Their fall menu last year had one of the best zombies I've ever had. And their drinks are always top notch. Also, even though there was not a Mai Tai on the menu, the bartender we had was excited to make us one and it was wonderful. If you're ordering off-menu items, I'd advise getting there early because it is a tiny place and can get packed on evenings and weekend. Also, during the summer they have been known to have multiple tiki-inspired drinks on their menu.

We did not enjoy the Yacht Club, drinks were not good and staff was a bit surly when we asked about tiki drinks but I know others who weren't as put off by it. Glad we checked it out, mostly so we can know that it's not somewhere we'd go out of our way for.

There is also a St. Lucian bar on Lexington Ave. called Calypso. First time we went it was fantastic and the next it was so so. Might be worth a quick stop for a cocktail to see. I'm guessing your experience will depend on the bartender that is on duty.