The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"Where exactly is Girl and Boyland? Because if they’re having a jubilee, I want in."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:04 pm 
Tourist

Greetings, Moai! I recently discovered this community and I'm interested in learning more!
A bit about me: I have always loved vintage things; in college I once spent every dollar I had to my name on a vintage bamboo tiki bar with matching barstools. I put flowers in my hair and made Blue Hawaiians and Bahama Mamas for all my friends and was the envy of all on campus.. but I have spent the last 17 years cramming that bar into every tiny apartment I've lived in. Sometimes it would take up half the kitchen and hold the crock pot, sometimes it would be stuffed with dvds in the living room. It was impractical as hell, but it was so cool!! I couldn't just let it go! At long last, I bought a home last fall with plenty of space to FINALLY use the tiki bar for its intended purpose once more!! I have spent the last few months slowly stocking my bar and diving more into the world of tiki! I live out in the sticks in Western Massachusetts, so there isn't really much of a "scene" here that I know of.. but I am interested to learn and connect with people! My home bar is called the "Summah Shrine" aka the "Canna Cabana" and I'd love any advice, favorite recipes, trivia, tips, tricks, flotsam and/or jetsam you all have to share!
Mahalo y'all!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:01 pm 
Manawale'a Avahata

Personal Statement: Uptown funk you up
Welcome! We are north of you, probably deeper in the sticks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:44 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Everyone loves boobs!
Welcome to the port!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:48 am 
Avai Rona

Personal Statement: Drink? Jet Pilot!!!
Welcome to the Islands!! Your bar sounds cool, wish I had something like that in my room but no way my roommate(s) would have gone for that.

Our home bar is the Kapu Cove here in Florida and we keep it stuffed with booze and stuff we have picked up along the way. If you like it, get it, you can always get rid of a piece that no longer strikes your fancy.

Welcome ashore and enjoy the trip!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:24 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: "I drank what?"
Welcome aboard!

I loved your bar purchase story- I totally would have done the same thing back in college given the chance. :D

One of the reasons we bought the house we did was that it had a full bar in the lowest level. I've been slowly tiki-fying it for the last few years.

“The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy also mentions alcohol. It says that the best drink in existence is the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, the effect of which is like having your brains smashed out with a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick.”

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:34 pm 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

Welcome! I love your enthusiasm!

MoHowie
Durham, NC
Co-owner Bull Tiki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:02 pm 
Hoa Aga

Personal Statement: 4LokoCocoLocoMocoSoco!
Aloha and welcome!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:20 pm 
Tourist

Sandbartender wrote:
Welcome aboard!

I loved your bar purchase story- I totally would have done the same thing back in college given the chance. :D

One of the reasons we bought the house we did was that it had a full bar in the lowest level. I've been slowly tiki-fying it for the last few years.

Sweet!! Our house has a finished basement, and the corner where we set up the bar has this wild wall that is half fake bricks and half strange silver and gold retro metal slidey things... the realtor was sure that we'd want to tear it out, but I think it's weird enough to stay!! Haha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:41 pm 
Tourist

the mighty OZ wrote:
Welcome to the Islands!! Your bar sounds cool, wish I had something like that in my room but no way my roommate(s) would have gone for that.

Our home bar is the Kapu Cove here in Florida and we keep it stuffed with booze and stuff we have picked up along the way. If you like it, get it, you can always get rid of a piece that no longer strikes your fancy.

Welcome ashore and enjoy the trip!

I'm definitely looking forward to combing antique shops for more treasures!! We usually go to Provincetown at least once a year, and I can't wait to browse Marine Specialties and the flea market for decor! I found my velvet Elvis at the Wellfleet flea market so I consider it good luck 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:12 am 
Matu'u

Personal Statement: pants off bottoms up
Welcome to the port. Glad to hear your bar is finally getting to serve its true purpose. I had the opposite problem, moving from relatively cheap housing in Louisiana, to relatively expensive housing in south Florida. We had to loose about 40% of the Silver Giraffe (our home bar) to fit in the new place. But it's better than nothing, and it's a lot closer to the Mai Kai than Louisiana.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:21 am 
Hoa Manu

Personal Statement: Liiiighten up, Francis...
Aloha and Welcome!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:38 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Kungaloosh!
Aloha! We have a couple Moai in western MA. I'm due South in CT. Our New England Chaptah (Queequeg) is wicked friendly and active. Well, active during non-pandemic times.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:34 pm 
Tourist

Professor Pineapple wrote:
Aloha! We have a couple Moai in western MA. I'm due South in CT. Our New England Chaptah (Queequeg) is wicked friendly and active. Well, active during non-pandemic times.

I'd love to learn more about the Queequeg Chaptah! I'm longing for non-pandemic times for sure. It's interesting; early in the quarantine I decided to start mixing "quarantiki" drinks to calm my nerves (and reward myself after long days of sewing masks.) After a couple of weeks, I bought the Smugglers Cove book to expand my drinks repertoire and ended up reading about the origins of the tiki bar as a form of escapism and I was like, oh wow ok that's literally what I'm doing right now haha! I love history, so I have been really enjoying reading that and Potions of the Caribbean and I have And A Bottle of Rum on the way as well!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:20 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Live Life!
Welcome!!!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:15 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Leopard is a neutral.
Aloha and welcome!

I love the name, Canna Cabana! My yard is filled with Canna lilies and they make me so happy. Now I'm thinking that I may need to build a little cabana near them. Hmmm....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:27 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ouch!
rocketbetty wrote:
Aloha and welcome!

I love the name, Canna Cabana! My yard is filled with Canna lilies and they make me so happy. Now I'm thinking that I may need to build a little cabana near them. Hmmm....

Such a strange flower.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:07 pm 
Tourist

rocketbetty wrote:
Aloha and welcome!

Oh I love lillies!! Stargazers are my favorite! Although, my bar is named after a different kind of flower- I work in the cannabis industry! :mrgreen: