The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"You can't test yourself out of quarantine, but you can drum your way through it."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:48 am 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Cocktail anyone?
Hello all

I have searched these boards and there is some discussion but not all in one spot, so I thought I'd throw it into one post...

Question;

Do you make your own syrups? Orgeat? Falernum?
Or with mr Berry and his Latitude 29 formulas have we gone past the need to make our own? (These are the ones I use)

Same Q with extracts. I have a boat load of mint and have thought, can I make my own mint extract for those long winter nights...

If you do make your own, please post/link your formulas, if you don't mind sharing ;)

theHandsomeDevil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:34 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ouch!
Orgeat Works has been an Ohana sponsor and vendor. It is so much easier to use Amazon Smile to support the FOM foundation and have consistently great syrup delivered to your door.

There are internal FOM Test Labs documents on syrups and extracts. The metaphysical FOM branch has some options in the area. Both groups, allegedly, have connections to original sources. (When either time traveling or astro projecting through the centuries, take notes on the ephemera.)

Btw, when you make a pot of coffee or tea, you are doing the same thing. Only the solutes have changed to protect the volatiles.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:49 am 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Kaʻapuni Hauʻoli
Although berries are not ordinarily called for in Tiki drinks, I have occasionally made cordials using different berries (when we have too many for pies). I'll need to investigate the drink possibilities further.

Here's the recipe I used most recently:
  • 4 cups blackberries (frozen),
  • 2 cups sugar,
  • 2 cups Vodka,
  • 2 cups Brandy,
  • 2 cups light corn syrup (this is for texture, not flavor - some recipes call for glycerine, which I haven't tried),
  • 1 tsp (heaping) lemon zest,
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice

Thaw the berries, mix with sugar and mash them. Add the other ingredients, mix/mash thoroughly, and bottle the results (I used a wide-mouthed water bottle in order to accommodate the solids). Store in a cool place for 2-3 weeks, shaking occasionally. Strain the liquid into glass bottles.
The straining process is in three steps:
    1. Through a wire screen, to catch the larger chunks - press as much liquid as possible out of the mash,
    2. Through a coffee filter (I've gotten excellent results using a "gold foil" filter, because it can be rinsed frequently), and
    3. A second trip through the coffee filter (which will catch more material).

I think that using frozen berries is advantageous because it helps to break down the cells; cooking them might do the same.
In the past, I used Vodka exclusively; this year's batch was better. I might try an experimental batch using Light VI Rum.
So far I've only used blackberries, black raspberries, and blueberries; other fruits would work as well - the amount of sugar needed will vary according to the sweetness of the fruit used.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:49 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Sleeps in hollow logs
I make all my own syrups here, all my own juices, and do all my own stunts. I have yet to see orgeat here anywhere. But it's not all that difficult! I even made a video about it:

https://youtu.be/kZNpplNK1q4

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kZNpplNK1q4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry it's in Spanish, but you can certainly see everything being done there!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:20 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: I'm pro-metric.
Good question. For orgeat and falernum, we typically use the pre-bottled stuff you find at the liquor store. It's just easier.

Depending on what cocktails are being made, we'll make our own syrups. My husband makes a killer honey allspice syrup he likes to use for Navy Grogs. But when making syrups, you usually make have to make so much at a time. Enough for a bunch of drinks. Unless you like making the same drink over and over, any remaining syrup does eventually go bad, despite storing in the fridge with a bit of vodka for preservation. Nowadays, we typically only make syrups if we're making a big batch of a drink for a party.

handsomedevil wrote:
Hello all

Question;

Or with mr Berry and his Latitude 29 formulas have we gone past the need to make our own? (These are the ones I use)

Same Q with extracts. I have a boat load of mint and have thought, can I make my own mint extract for those long winter nights...

If you do make your own, please post/link your formulas, if you don't mind sharing ;)

theHandsomeDevil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:16 am 
Avai Rona

Personal Statement: Drink? Jet Pilot!!!
Well, I’ve made many of my own ingredients:
Falernum
Orgeat
Pimento Liquor
Hibiscus syrup
Don’s Spices
And many more.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:49 am 
Tourist

Thanks all for the input!

I love the idea of making my own syrups and such, as noted above, in this current state, its hard to make small batch syrups.

I've got some ideas... I'll keep y'all posted, but please keep hitting me with what you have made. More inspiration is always more better!

Carry on.

The HandsomeDevil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:35 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Disney is my Happy Place
I personally love making my own syrups and shrubs... and it’s typically pretty easy! I do buy Giffard orgeat (I happen to love its taste/texture), and Falernum (because Hooper still hasn’t sent me his recipe yet!) which is a little more involved. From time to time I will also buy specialty syrups like BG Reynolds Fassionola and Circus Peanut Clown Syrup. For the most part, I like everything as in-house as possible! It’s much more fun (to me) when you are serving drinks to your guests to be able to take them on a Journey through your process of creating what they are tasting. It makes for a much more memorable evening in my experience!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:34 pm 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

handsomedevil wrote:
handsomedevil wrote:

I love making syrups. The ratios I use are:

Simple 1:1 Sugar/Water
Rich 2:1 Sugar/Water
Candy 3:1 Sugar/Water (or max out)

Most things I can flavor when it is warm. I heat the mixture under low heat until it is transparent, and add flavors and let it steep for a little while before straining and bottling. I add a little Wray and Nephews as a preservative

My favorite flavors to add are lime zest, lemon zest, grapefruit zest, fresh dragon fruit, cinnamon, mint, thai basil/galangal, sage/raspberry, blackberry, lime/jalapeno, or to sub various tea for the water, like chamomile, green tea or Lapsang souchong (that'll turn your bourbon to scotch right quick)

For Demarrera syrup I make that at a rich ratio, and use (what they call) demerrara sugar.

When I make honey mix I usually do a 1:1 honey water. It keeps well.

If you use pomegranate juice instead of water, you're in grenadine territory. I like adding orange blossom water, rose water and dried hibiscus to my grenadine, and I love using pom-cherry as the base.

Orgeat is kind of like a simple syrup that uses nut milk as a base. I like using pistachio nut milk with a little orange blossom water. I hear hazelnut orgeat is the bomb. I never heat that one, I use the vitamix to blend it to preserve the color.

I've been experimenting with (SCIENCE!) rapid infusion falernums, and they've been quite successful. Some folks on the board here can attest that for only taking 20 minutes to make, they're darn flavorful. My last batch had toasted coconut instead of almond. I thought it was quite nice.

I also love making oleo-saccharum, oil-sugar. Syrup with no water added!

I've made some mint julep bitters, pimento dram, and chocolate vodka, they came out well enough.

I use the vitamix to make gomme using the shear force method:
https://cocktailgeni.us/2015/04/23/gum- ... -easy-way/

Here's what I do:

8 parts sugar by weight (800 g)
4 parts water by weight (400 g)
1 part gum arabic by weight * 100 g)

shear the water and gum arabic in the vitamix (I let it spin on high for a few minutes) then pour into pot, add sugar and heat until incorporated. Bottle.

It's all great fun!

Let us know how your own adventures turn out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:31 am 
Tourist

Well this is excellent!
Thanks for this, I will put some of this to use and experiment too.
Im also going to have about 200 jalapenos in about a week when my plant is ready to harvest. I've got some ideas there too.

Thanks again!

The Devil That is Handsome

Commodore Oleo-Saccharum wrote:
handsomedevil wrote:
handsomedevil wrote:

I love making syrups. The ratios I use are:

Simple 1:1 Sugar/Water
Rich 2:1 Sugar/Water
Candy 3:1 Sugar/Water (or max out)

Most things I can flavor when it is warm. I heat the mixture under low heat until it is transparent, and add flavors and let it steep for a little while before straining and bottling. I add a little Wray and Nephews as a preservative

My favorite flavors to add are lime zest, lemon zest, grapefruit zest, fresh dragon fruit, cinnamon, mint, thai basil/galangal, sage/raspberry, blackberry, lime/jalapeno, or to sub various tea for the water, like chamomile, green tea or Lapsang souchong (that'll turn your bourbon to scotch right quick)

For Demarrera syrup I make that at a rich ratio, and use (what they call) demerrara sugar.

When I make honey mix I usually do a 1:1 honey water. It keeps well.

If you use pomegranate juice instead of water, you're in grenadine territory. I like adding orange blossom water, rose water and dried hibiscus to my grenadine, and I love using pom-cherry as the base.

Orgeat is kind of like a simple syrup that uses nut milk as a base. I like using pistachio nut milk with a little orange blossom water. I hear hazelnut orgeat is the bomb. I never heat that one, I use the vitamix to blend it to preserve the color.

I've been experimenting with (SCIENCE!) rapid infusion falernums, and they've been quite successful. Some folks on the board here can attest that for only taking 20 minutes to make, they're darn flavorful. My last batch had toasted coconut instead of almond. I thought it was quite nice.

I also love making oleo-saccharum, oil-sugar. Syrup with no water added!

I've made some mint julep bitters, pimento dram, and chocolate vodka, they came out well enough.

I use the vitamix to make gomme using the shear force method:
https://cocktailgeni.us/2015/04/23/gum- ... -easy-way/

Here's what I do:

8 parts sugar by weight (800 g)
4 parts water by weight (400 g)
1 part gum arabic by weight * 100 g)

shear the water and gum arabic in the vitamix (I let it spin on high for a few minutes) then pour into pot, add sugar and heat until incorporated. Bottle.

It's all great fun!

Let us know how your own adventures turn out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:37 pm 
Tourist

I make my own syrups and orgeat. Not had luck on falernums even from recipes. Tried a lime cordial and its missing all the characteristic bitterness.

My current favorite is a 7 spice (modified Chinese five spice) that is just delightfully complex. I use it in my kitchen sink drink that has 60+ ingredients

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:00 am 
Tourist

60 ingredients?

... go on....

Kiani wrote:
I make my own syrups and orgeat. Not had luck on falernums even from recipes. Tried a lime cordial and its missing all the characteristic bitterness.

My current favorite is a 7 spice (modified Chinese five spice) that is just delightfully complex. I use it in my kitchen sink drink that has 60+ ingredients

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:47 pm 
Tourist

handsomedevil wrote:
60 ingredients?

... go on....

Basically, complex spice mix of sweet, savory, and "exotic" with specific notes called to ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, vanilla, chocolate, and a multicitrus mix.

Basic break down (without telling ingredients because secret):
Syrups: 21 ingredients
Bitters: 25 ingredients
Citrus: 6 (including orange, grapefruit, lemon, and lime)
Rums: 4
Juices: 3 (pineapple, passionfruit, guava)
Campari: 1/2 oz/drink

I usually batch it to serve as a punch for 2+ persons. Crushed ice, flash blend. Garnish pineapple fronds, orchids or plumeria blossoms

I'm pairing it down recently, since shopping is a no go since covid is spiking in my area.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:00 am 
Tourist

Well thats quite a thing sir!

And I hear ya, online ordering has been the main source of getting those funny ingredients too.

TheHD