The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"I wanted to create this thread to share this, and my, madness with all of you."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:19 pm 
Fellow Moai

Some of you own a vintage jade green Chinese breezeway tile.

How big are they?

I think they are glazed clay, yes?

The Duchess and I are looking into what we would need to do to create and fire some of our own, so I'm curious about their specs.

Are there 3D Meshes for such things out there already?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:38 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: I'm pro-metric.
I think they're maybe 12' x 12". Maybe +/- an inch or two.

This is just me thinking out loud, if you can find a singular jade tile, or borrow one, I wonder if you could make a casting of it, to make a mold. I guess you could make it with some sort of cementitious material, but that would be heavy. There are lightweight resins out there, while not authentic, they could be finished to look like fired clay.

There are some tiki jewelry makers, who sell small jade tile earrings and necklaces. I own some. The tile is made from laser cut wood, then painted.

Another option may be 3D printing. This etsy seller has renderings for sale.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/822585636/ ... y-tile-stl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:23 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ouch!
A jade shaded resin would be awesome.

I might be a bit old school with this thought:

Get a photo of one and print it to the size you want. Glue to a piece of masonite or luan and cut a template with a fret/coping saw. Then router some out of MDF and paint them.

Another way would be to glue the photo to the MDF and make a positive pattern, then make a mold for whatever process suits your fancy. Fiberglass with a green opal gelcoat would be fun then run some LEDs inside. You can't have enough of these new fangled green light emitting diodes.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:29 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Kungaloosh!
For you Fellows with a map of the Motu Nui archipelago, definitely check out KahunaCP's work in the mold-making dep't.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:58 am 
Fellow Moai

kemika_popoki wrote:
Another option may be 3D printing. This etsy seller has renderings for sale.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/822585636/ ... y-tile-stl

Awesome, thanks! We just purchased a 3D printer and are about to begin our bumpy journey.

foredeckape wrote:
A jade shaded resin would be awesome.

Fiberglass with a green opal gelcoat would be fun then run some LEDs inside. You can't have enough of these new fangled green light emitting diodes.

Sounds like fun!

The long term goal for our present project, I think, will be to add an actual breezeway to our house. So they'd live outside permanently in the elements.

Fun versions for inside could be fun too!

Professor Pineapple wrote:
For you Fellows with a map of the Motu Nui archipelago, definitely check out KahunaCP's work in the mold-making dep't.

Thanks muchly! I hope to one day share that with the Duchess :)

Mahalo, all!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:02 am 
Hoa Manu

I literally just measured ours the other night.. 12" X 12"

We have a breeze block screen in our front courtyard...I would love to be able to 3-D print those for projects too...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:36 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Rum is Fun!
I have authentic tiles from China and they are HEAVY which makes them difficult to hang. They are about 5 pounds each.

If you love what you are doing, you will be successful!
--
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:24 pm 
Honui Moai

JonTiki wrote:
I literally just measured ours the other night.. 12" X 12"

We have a breeze block screen in our front courtyard...I would love to be able to 3-D print those for projects too...

The Retro Renovation blog, is probably your best source on how to find breeze blocks (https://retrorenovation.com/2010/04/26/ ... en-blocks/). You may be in luck. I believe there is a company in Orlando, that still sells them, but have a limited selection. I have a neighbor in Atlanta, who bought a pallet of them, and paid a pretty penny, to have them shipped for a major house project. I've also seen breeze block molds for sale on eBay, but it would take multiple molds and a lot of labor to make them.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:47 am 
Fellow Moai

kemika_popoki wrote:
JonTiki wrote:
...it would take multiple molds and a lot of labor to make them.

I think that's what we're signing up for. We have a kiln, a 3D printer is on the way that I hope to make our own molds with, so I reckon we'll just slowly collect the skills to do this.

When we have palettes of our own, the project will commence! Months and months out, I presume.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:06 am 
Hoa Manu

I actually found the manufacturer of our breeze blocks from our 1957 home. They are a local company and still have all their original molds. I need to swing by and take a look at them... I was surprised to find someone still making these.
The Florida version is not a rough cinder block style, but a smooth clean concrete...smooth like plaster. South Florida has lots of these and very complex beautiful patterns. I have often wondered why they are not marketing them especially with the renewed interest in Mid century architecture and design...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:15 am 
Honui Moai

JonTiki wrote:
South Florida has lots of these and very complex beautiful patterns. I have often wondered why they are not marketing them especially with the renewed interest in Mid century architecture and design...

Probably because they're a pain to make. Many years ago, I worked for a concrete manufacturer doing product development. The owners are quite wealthy, and have multiple homes, including one somewhere in the Caribbean. Apparently, this home had a breeze block wall, that was starting to crumble. So they reached out to my department to make more breeze blocks. A mold was made out of plywood, and the main product development guy tried multiple times to make a block. Demolding them is a bitch, given the intricacies of the pattern. It's also probably a lost art on making such things.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:37 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ouch!
kemika_popoki wrote:
JonTiki wrote:
South Florida has lots of these and very complex beautiful patterns. I have often wondered why they are not marketing them especially with the renewed interest in Mid century architecture and design...

Probably because they're a pain to make. Many years ago, I worked for a concrete manufacturer doing product development. The owners are quite wealthy, and have multiple homes, including one somewhere in the Caribbean. Apparently, this home had a breeze block wall, that was starting to crumble. So they reached out to my department to make more breeze blocks. A mold was made out of plywood, and the main product development guy tried multiple times to make a block. Demolding them is a bitch, given the intricacies of the pattern. It's also probably a lost art on making such things.
Paging Mr. Dollar. Johnny Dollar to the white courtesy telephone please.

J$ has flamingo molds and knowledges of such concrete casting matters.

I tends to be difficult to reproduce an item with the same material, fit and finish as a factory production item without similar equipment. Gearing up to make custom blocks at home would be a chore. Even with 5 molds, you'd be pushing a month to make enough blocks for a 20 foot wall. Meanwhile, you could use a router template and make PVC panels in a weekend.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:22 pm 
Fellow Moai

...so many wonderful ideas!

I wonder if you could make a translucent jade block/tile with epoxy/resin.

I imagine it would hate the constant exposure to sunlight though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:43 pm 
Hoa Manu

Attachment:
Golden Girls.jpg
I took a closer look and was surprised to notice the Golden Girls house also had the Chinese Green garden tiles in the courtyard wall.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.