The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"There's some sweat in my fez!"

Homepage Homepage    Our Charities Our Charity    Our Supporters Our Supporters    Regional Chapters Our Local Chapters  News News   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 789 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:21 am 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Tiki?
Anyone read this yet?

Long story short: Lost Spirits have a patent pending on a chemical reactor that can produce aged spirits in 6 days that match the chemical profile (98-99%) of those aged for 20 years in an oak barrel. I'm usually one that is skeptical of any process that equates to a shortcut, but this is pretty interesting. They have white pages on their site for anyone interested in delving deeper into the science behind it too. Fascinating shit.

I have not been able to try anything they've made yet, but a local liquor store told me last week that they are getting in all three of the current Lost Spirits rums so that should change soon!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:46 am 
Nounou Moai

Personal Statement: Booze is the only answer!
Just MHO...

from what I have tasted of the Lost Spirits Rums...

This is all smoke and mirrors.

I would make sure you taste it before you commit to buying one of these expensive rums.

And I keep watching for reviews and comments. The positive ones are things like "tastes really great in egg nog." Who puts $60+ rum in egg nog?

I bought a bottle of (one of the) the Navy Strengths myself and have exhausted any possible uses I could find for it. I sure as hell can't sip it.

;-)

And I love navy strength rum - normally.

Again, just MHO.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:07 am 
Tourist

I am now wondering if I've fallen for an elaborate April Fools prank...

I am familiar with their Nitrogen deficient process that begins the aging process in fermentation so I just assume these folks love their science and this reactor is a natural progression of that, however since both internet sources I can find about it are blog posts from yesterday I am now even more skeptical.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:22 am 
Nounou Moai

Hah!

If so, it was a good one!

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:24 am 
Chapter Tohunga

Personal Statement: Ouch!
I find it hard to believe that the spectra of low energy reactions relying on diffusion can be all sped up equally. I can see how increasing the surface area to mass ratio can speed up the transfer function. But, the transformation of the large organic compounds will still limit the aging.

Maybe high pressure, high temperature, high area/mass, and some high energy ionizing radiation would do it, and more.

Uploaded via Tapatalk using flint and steel.

The Ohana is all around you.
For External Use Only
It's for the kids.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:53 am 
Tetu Avahata

Personal Statement: I choose booze.
foredeckape wrote:
Maybe high pressure, high temperature, high area/mass, and some high energy ionizing radiation would do it, and more.

there are no better words to live by.

and I pretty much agree with senator tabuzak regarding the the lost spirits rums.

I am not sure I dislike them as much as Jack might, but I certainly don' t love them and I do find them over priced and hard to work with.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:40 am 
Hoa Manu

Location: Metro Atlanta- Proud home of the Tongariki Chapter.
Personal Statement: To Taua Na Moai!
I have been informed that this was not an elaborate April Fools joke but legitimate. They have mentioned that Prometheus will be available to taste at the Miami Rum festival.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:56 am 
Tourist

If you read the white papers they make reference to a sweet spot of about 20 years. Attempting to reproduce anything older with this technology has failed to work properly, mostly due to a lack of evaporation. They did mention possibly adding a fourth step to mimic the evaporation, but to do so would reverse the vast financial gains of not losing any "angels share" that will be the obvious marketing ploy for using this process.

My big question is does a "nearly identical" gas chromatography test really translate to an equal taste? I suppose theoretically it should, but again, I'm skeptical.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:56 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Kungaloosh!
Wow, I totally thought this was a belated April Fool's greeting! But upon further examination, how could it not be legit? :lol:
implausible press release wrote:
THE REACTOR RUNS USING ENERGY AND OAK.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:00 pm 
Nounou Moai

Yeah, I am much more interested in the back story when I like the rum.

So I am setting myself up to eat my hat again (hopefully). I was just chatting with Randy Wong and he says that he's gone through three bottles of the Polynesian. He loves it. Then again, he is paying $26 a bottle for it somehow. It's either $45 or $50 at Astor I believe.

So I will bend your ear about that after I give it a try.

Joe, which ones have you had?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:22 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Hakuna matata ♩♬♩
I have all four of their bottles and am a big fan. I've yet to use them in a cocktail, as I've been too busy sipping them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:50 pm 
Nounou Moai

Just opened the Polynesian Inspired Rum.

I can drink it! Neat.

Pretty interesting blend of flavors, but there is no information on the bottle as to the origins. I would guess something like Demerara and Rhum Agricole. Am I missing something? Are these guys claiming to be distilling this rum themselves?

This is a whole different story than the Navy Strength - the one that I did not enjoy. It's 66% or 132 proof, so not a lightweight either, but it's sip-worthy - no deal breaker strength burn.

I am thinking this will work well in a Mai Tai and will try that out. It was $50 though, so maybe not for weeknight Tiki drinks. ;-).

Okay, IMHO, Lost Spirits may not be all bad. I am looking for that hat. I think I am going to like this rum.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:56 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Hakuna matata ♩♬♩
$50.00 is a lot for that. I paid 39.00 for the Polynesian Style.

Granted there will be shipping cost, but K&L Wine Merchants have good prices for Lost Spirit rums

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:57 pm 
Nounou Moai

Thanks, Skillbilly. I will check that possibility out.

I often get a big enough order at Hi-Time together to make the shipping worthwhile. It looks like they do not carry the Polynesion though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:31 pm 
Tourist

I guess I am lucky to live and drink in Northern California, where pretty much every rumbiber has tried at least three of the Lost Spirits expressions, and the local rum bars have had them in stock since the beginning. In fact, Bryan has done events at each rum bar and a lot of other local saloons, so most of us have had plenty of chances to hear his lectures and learn about rum chemistry. The reviews among the rum club members at all three rum specialty bars are very positive. Can't say that I've heard anyone suggest it for eggnog, though. I am hugely looking forward to the Prometheous release. Wish I were going to be in Miami for the tastings there. Looks like I'm overdue for taking my wife for a weekend at her favorite waterfront hotel in Monterey, in exchange for a side trip out to the Lost Spirits distillery, if Bryan ever has time to allow tours and tastings again.

The chemistry and technology that Bryan has developed is certainly legit. He can "age" rums and get the balance of esters and other components that he's seeking. He can get interesting and tasty rums, in the opinions of most of those who have tried them. (I have all five expressions in my home bar, and they are as well received here as at the commercial rum bars). Whether that translates into other distilleries willing to pay to use his methods, and whether that in turn translates into a variety of rums that are marketable and drinkable to enough folks to sustain the kind of industry transformative momentum that he seeks, all remains to be seen. Very few of those who have tasted and appreciated either the Lost Spirits rums or the old Leviathon whiskies would bet against him, though.

chiwito

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:39 pm 
Tourist

tabuzak wrote:
Just opened the Polynesian Inspired Rum.

. Am I missing something? Are these guys claiming to be distilling this rum themselves?

Jack

Bryan distills all of his rums (and, in the old days, his whiskies). At least three of the four main expressions of rum from Lost Spirits were results of the research process toward the newly announced technology. I guess that those of us who have purchased and enjoyed his rums were unwitting beta testers of the results of the process. Of course, if someone is using us as guinea pigs by making and selling excellent rums, bring it on as often as possible.

chiwito

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:14 pm 
Tourist

RumJourney wrote:
I have been informed that this was not an elaborate April Fools joke but legitimate. They have mentioned that Prometheus will be available to taste at the Miami Rum festival.

It looks like it will, indeed, be at Miami Rum Fest. I'm sure most have already read this, but here is a little about it.

http://www.cocktailwonk.com/2015/04/lost-spirits-distillerys-aging-reactor.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:23 pm 
Matu'u

Personal Statement: Conch ceviche.
I thought rum already was the next great spirt trend?

Anyway.... I'm pondering if this helps to explain rum to the uninitiated or not.

http://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2015/02/rum-flavour-map-launched-to-aid-confusing-category/

Quote:
The launch of a rum flavour map – similar to the one currently used by the Scotch whisky industry to differentiate between regions – is being trialled in the UK on-trade.

By categorising flavours of rum into three main styles – English-style rum, Spanish-style ron and French-style rhum – it is hoped consumers will understand the spirit more clearly, giving them confidence to choose a brand outside their comfort zone.

Designed by French West Indies rum distributor Spiridom, which looks after Rhum Clement and Rhum JM, the rum flavour map is being made available for the entire industry to use.

Matthieu de Lassus, export director for Spiridom, claimed the map could help rum on its way to becoming the next great spirit trend.

(click for full res)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:37 pm 
Matu'u

No comments? I thought that would get some.

Ok, back to the rum buying then. My latest acquisition from over the line in O-Canada in an inexplicable 1.14L bottle.

Attachment:
old-sam.jpg

The guy on the labels looks like the ghost of Jacob Marley if you ask me.

First sold in London in 1797 but now bottled at the same Newfoundland and Labrador Liquor Corporation plant as... wait for it.... Screech and Lemon Hart. I am starting to think I need to road trip up there and see if they do tours.

-Rev

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:13 pm 
Nounou Moai

Looks interesting. How does it taste, Rev?

I am always interested in Demerara rums.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:31 am 
Matu'u

I caught a horrible cold in Chicago so right now I cannot even detect the smell of rum so the tasting will have to wait a couple days.

This review sounds promising.

https://therumhowlerblog.wordpress.com/rum-reviews/dark-rums/old-sam-demerara-rum/

-Rev

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:07 pm 
Matu'u

tabuzak wrote:
Looks interesting. How does it taste, Rev?

I am always interested in Demerara rums.

Ok. My senses have returned so I poured a snort.

Liquid brown sugar is the overwhelming profile. Smells like it. Tastes like it. Softens a bit with some ice.

I did sip it happily but definitely a mixer normally. Should be interesting to try in cocktails as a substitute for Lemon Hart 80.

-Rev

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:16 pm 
Tetu Avahata

Personal Statement: I choose booze.
choices....choices....choices....

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:37 pm 
Nounou Moai

The stuff dreams are made of... :D

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:05 pm 
Matato'a

An article on some new Rum distilleries in the U.S.

http://gardenandgun.com/article/drinks-new-rumrunners

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 789 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next