The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"Abraham Lincoln don't take kindly to pasty limeys appropriating his name."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:46 pm 
Avai Pukao

Personal Statement: pants off bottoms up
My google alert for Rum Renaissance points toward a couple of Columbus Bars that maybe those in town for HRHH can check out if they have some extra time:
Where to sip on Columbus’ rum renaissance
http://www.columbuscrave.com/content/st ... sance.html

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:02 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: God Bless Trader Vic
News about Havana Club.
http://www.cubaheadlines.com/2015/07/22/p13/winning-the-havana-club-brand-immediate-goal-of-the-cuban-government.html
"Cuba asked the United States on Monday, after restoring diplomatic relations, to repeal laws that impede to recognize Havana Club as Cuban rum brand. The request was made by the Cuban diplomat Carlos Martin in Geneva before the Dispute Settlement Body (DSB) of the World Trade Organization (WTO), the Cuban agency Prensa Latina reported. "Unjustified and unnecessarily, the United States has ignored the recommendations and rulings" which for 13 years are calling for the abolition or amendment of the Omnibus Appropriations Act of 1998.

The French company Pernod Ricard, associated with the state company CubaRon in the manufacture and marketing of the rum, appealed to the decision to deny registering the trademark Havana Club in the United States, now used by Bacardi in that market. That mark was established in Cuba in 1878 by the Spanish Jose Arechabala and nationalized in 1960."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:09 pm 
Tourist

Picked up these two on a trip to Delaware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:43 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: I didn't do it.
What is a good dark rum to use? I have been using Trader Vic's dark rum, but its been getting harder and harder to find.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:18 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: God Bless Trader Vic
Kaptain Kahuna wrote:
What is a good dark rum to use? I have been using Trader Vic's dark rum, but its been getting harder and harder to find.

Coruba Dark if you can find it in your area, or pick it up in Maryland when you are close enough. Made by the Wray & Nephew distillery (which also makes Appleton). Really very good, versatile, and in Maryland, very reasonably priced (under $16 per Litre).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:36 pm 
Matu'u

Personal Statement: Conch ceviche.
Is it cold in Hell? New Hampshire actually has Rhum Clément on the shelf. And Papa Pilar Dark Rum. And Plantation Original Dark Rum.

Any opinions on Rumson's Grand Reserve rum?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:44 pm 
Matu'u

Whoops.

http://viconsortium.com/business/diageo-importing-offshoot-of-foreign-rum-mapp-confirms-doj-investigation-underway/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:52 am 
Avai Rona

Personal Statement: Drink? Jet Pilot!!!
If you can find it, Kohala Bay is the Dark Rum they use at the Mai-Kai and is good mixer:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:24 pm 
Matu'u

I'd love to have some but never ever see it on the shelf.

-Rev

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:58 pm 
Matato'a

Attachment:
Comp+24H.jpg

http://www.kohanarum.com/home

They featured this new rum on Booze Traveler on the Hawaiian show. Has anyone tried it?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:28 pm 
Matu'u

Yes. That says Gingerbread rum.

Attachment:
screech.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:45 pm 
Tetu Avahata

Personal Statement: I choose booze.
Update in the WSJ on the Bacardi / Havana Club trade name dispute (spoiler alert - Treasury Department appears to be appeasing the Castros and Barcardi is not happy)

U.S. Grants Cuban Government a Trademark for Havana Club Rum
Decision angers Bacardi, which agreed to buy U.S. rights in 1994 from family that fled Cuba

By TRIPP MICKLE
Updated Jan. 15, 2016 4:35 p.m. ET

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office this week awarded a trademark for Havana Club rum—Cuba’s most famous brand—to the Cuban government, reversing a policy that denied Havana rights to the brand in the U.S.

The move is expected to reignite longstanding tension between Bacardi Ltd. and the Cuban government.

Privately held Bacardi has been selling Havana Club branded rum in the U.S. since 1994. The company acquired the U.S. rights from Havana Club’s founding family, who fled Cuba around 1960 after the brand was seized by the government. Bacardi’s Havana Club rum is made in Puerto Rico due to the U.S. economic embargo.

Pernod Ricard SA, which has a joint venture with the Cuban government, has been selling a Cuban-made version of the rum outside the U.S.

The Patent Office’s decision could open a new battle for the future of the U.S. rum market by allowing the Cuban government to sell Cuban-made Havana Club in the U.S. for the first time in decades once the U.S. embargo is lifted.

Bacardi Executive Vice President of External Affairs Rick Wilson said the company would “take every means available to fight [the decision],” including litigation. “It’s appalling that this administration goes ahead and grants this license to the Cuban government for assets that were confiscated,” he said of the Obama administration.

The Patent Office, which issued a document reviewed by The Wall Street Journal confirming the award, said it doesn’t comment on trademark applications.

Pernod Ricard said that Cubaexport, the Cuban entity that applied for the U.S. trademark for Havana Club, received a trademark license for 15 days, which is when the trademark was slated to lapse.

The company has applied for a 10-year extension of its trademark through 2026 and expects to receive it. A spokesman said the decision doesn’t have “any business impact because of the embargo,” which prevents it from selling Cuban-made rum in the U.S.

Havana Club was Cuba’s second-largest rum brand at the time of the 1959 revolution behind Bacardi. The Bacardi family was able to continue to make its rum after the revolution because they had distilleries in Puerto Rico and Mexico, Mr. Wilson said, but Havana Club’s founding family—the Arechabalas—only operated in Cuba. So the Arechabala family’s distilleries were nationalized.

The Arechabala family failed to renew its trademark registration for Havana Club in 1973, according to Pernod Ricard. Three years later, the Cuban government secured a trademark for the brand.

It joined with Paris-based Pernod Ricard in 1993 to handle sales of the brand world-wide, according to Pernod Ricard’s account of what happened.

Bacardi began contesting the trademark in 1994 and argued the Arechabala family never abandoned its trademark rights. It has battled with the Cuban government and Pernod Ricard, which sells about 4 million 9-liter cases of Havana Club outside the U.S. a year.

The trademark dispute appeared to be coming to an end around 2006. Because of the embargo, the Cuban government needs permission from the U.S. Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control about every 10 years to pay to renew its trademark license. In 2006, the office denied its request saying it “would be inconsistent with U.S. policy to issue a specific license authorizing transactions related to the renewal of the Havana Club trademark.”

Pernod Ricard filed suit in Delaware against Bacardi, arguing it couldn’t sell Havana Club in the U.S. because it would be misleading, Mr. Wilson said.

A few years later, the U.S. Court of Appeals in Philadelphia ruled in favor of Bacardi’s right to sell a Puerto Rican-made version of the rum in the U.S. When the Supreme Court declined to take up the case in 2012, it appeared the long-standing battle had ended. But on Monday, the Treasury reversed course, allowing the Cuban government to apply and receive the Havana Club trademark.

Pernod Ricard and Bacardi executives said ownership of the brand will ultimately be decided in court. “It will be another battle,” Mr. Wilson said.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:47 pm 
Matu'u

Huh. I thought they let Bacardi buy up the trademark when they denied Cuba in 2006? No?

-Rev

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:02 pm 
Matu'u

Got a gift from a vendor today. He knows I like rum so he carried a bottle of Bundaberg Rum back from Australia for me.

Interesting stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:21 am 
Hoa Manu

Location: Metro Atlanta- Proud home of the Tongariki Chapter.
Personal Statement: To Taua Na Moai!
Awesome post by my Rum brother Josh with Inua Kena. Enjoy!

https://inuakena.com/2016/06/09/the-trouble-with-rum-nerds/

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:34 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Jungle Red!!!
Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva is always my go-to rum for straight sipping (or sometimes with one cube). I've converted plenty of whiskey drinkers with this one. A little sweet, notes of tobacco, orange, leather, cocoa, and a nice smooth finish. I'm made my way through nearly all the rums offered at The Rum Bar in Key West (props to bartender Jill there for introducing me to this one) and this is still my favorite. There are plenty of rums I use for mixing, but for the shear pleasure of drinking (affordable) rum, this is my favorite. About $25 - $35 per 750ml, available at most finer liquor stores.

http://www.rondiplomatico.com/rumreservaexclusiva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:20 pm 
Matato'a

Personal Statement: WTFIBB
That's good stuff!

A toast to Roger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:42 am 
Avai Rona

Last time I tried Diplomatico, I was not a fan. Something in their blend did not play well with my taste buds. This was some time ago so perhaps I'll have to give it another shot.
For me, sipping, I enjoy Zacapa Solara 23 or one I tried at the last Rum Fest., Mezan XO from Jamaica. Of course, there are others too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:15 pm 
Matu'u

I find that I tend to lean towards British style rum over Spanish style ron for sipping but the Diplomatico is good stuff.

-Rev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:32 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Jungle Red!!!
the mighty OZ wrote:
Last time I tried Diplomatico, I was not a fan. Something in their blend did not play well with my taste buds. This was some time ago so perhaps I'll have to give it another shot.
For me, sipping, I enjoy Zacapa Solara 23 or one I tried at the last Rum Fest., Mezan XO from Jamaica. Of course, there are others too.

Funny how certain rums on certain nights just don't work. I remember enjoying Mocambo on several occasions, then one day the finish reminded me of the smell of a burning tire. Just hasn't been the same since. I've never tried Mezan - I'll have to put it on my list.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:20 pm 
Tourist

the mighty OZ wrote:

The Mezan line is delicious, though I wish they bottled at cask strength rather than 80 proof. Although, I've been told by the company that the demand for cask strength has made them reconsider and to keep our eyes peeled for future releases. Zacapa is too sweet for me. There are tons of resources out there that let you know who is adding sugar in and who isn't. Mezan doesn't Zacapa does. Camper English gives it a brief summary here...

http://www.alcademics.com/2014/01/how-much-sugar-is-added-to-your-rum.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:19 pm 
Avai Rona

KillDevil wrote:
the mighty OZ wrote:

The Mezan line is delicious, though I wish they bottled at cask strength rather than 80 proof. Although, I've been told by the company that the demand for cask strength has made them reconsider and to keep our eyes peeled for future releases. Zacapa is too sweet for me. There are tons of resources out there that let you know who is adding sugar in and who isn't. Mezan doesn't Zacapa does. Camper English gives it a brief summary here...

Nice article. The lists are eye opening. I found out about sugar added to rum (and other alcohols) when I was on the Adkins diet. Alcohol (rum, vodka, scotch, etc.) is listed as 0 carbs and I would occasionally have some mixed with a diet soda or diet tonic thinking I was imbibing with 0 carbs.

Wrong.

I noticed that when I would drink some mixes, my sugar levels would climb. So, I started doing some research and discovered the sugar additions and, at the time, stopped drinking alcohol at all.

As they say, caveat emptor.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:37 pm 
Tourist

the mighty OZ wrote:
KillDevil wrote:
the mighty OZ wrote:

Nice article. The lists are eye opening. I found out about sugar added to rum (and other alcohols) when I was on the Adkins diet. Alcohol (rum, vodka, scotch, etc.) is listed as 0 carbs and I would occasionally have some mixed with a diet soda or diet tonic thinking I was imbibing with 0 carbs.

Wrong.

I noticed that when I would drink some mixes, my sugar levels would climb. So, I started doing some research and discovered the sugar additions and, at the time, stopped drinking alcohol at all.

As they say, caveat emptor.

This list below works as a good jumping off point. Richard Seale of Foursquare has long been an advocate (to put it mildly) for transparency when it comes to the issue of dosage in rum. It's a hot topic in rum circles in which, of course, many Moai are also included. When producers intentionally mislead consumers or refuse to provide details about their production methods, it's probably a good idea to stay away. As I said, it's a topic of great debate at most rum and cocktail festivals these days (i.e. TOTC's "When is a rum not a rum?" this year). My father has to be very careful about it due to diabetes. It's not to say that adding sugar is inherently bad, but refusing to disclose what goes into my drink is. Plantation is a good example of a company that discloses exactly what rums are in their blends, and if they add sugar to it or not (they do). They're great people, and are very honest about their methods. The same goes for Martinique rhum producers, who are held to a regulatory standard since there is an AOC there.

Anyhow, here is the "master list" on Capn Jimbo's Rum Project to help you out.
http://rumproject.com/rumforum/viewtopic.php?t=1663&sid=a41216757d6a36863970cfb45cb59a0e

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:46 pm 
Tourist

Here is a quick rundown of the topics considered in the "When is a Rum Not a Rum" seminar at TOTC this year from Cocktail Wonk (I'm sure many of you Matt.) If you didn't get to attend, or aren't quite sure to make of all this confusion about sugar additives in rum, check it out.

http://cocktailwonk.com/2016/07/omg-o-f-t-d-rummy-happenings-tales-cocktail-2016.html#more-2287

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:36 am 
Hoa Manu

Location: Metro Atlanta- Proud home of the Tongariki Chapter.
Personal Statement: To Taua Na Moai!
Thanks Ed, Matt does good work.

Here is some coverage I did for this years Tales of the Cocktail, that goes along with what Matt wrote.

https://blog.distiller.com/new-rums-fall-2016/

http://www.gotrum.com/news-and-events/rum-events/spirited-coverage-2016-tales-of-the-cocktail/

Happy to answer any questions you might have.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next