The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"Be a duck! And I don't mean $#%@ in fresh water and attack small children with bread products."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:22 pm 
Hatu Matoa

Personal Statement: The Pythagoras of Love
Below are two archival posts I had made in the begining of the FOM. They are a bit dated now given our rapid growth and our membership role expanding to include Moai from multiple states, so please bear with me. The first one was the public "Welcome!" thread and the second is the "Who should join the FOM" thread. I have wanted to move these over here ever since we closed the forums to the public and opened the Port of the Initiate, but so much has happened that has kept me busy and I neglected to do so. Recently, with the interests of VDB and Damion in mind, I thought the Initiate Moai Ra'e might benefit from my effort to combat laziness and get around to it at long last.

So... here they are finally for the perusal of the prospective Moai:

Quote:
Firstly, I'd like to warmly welcome all who have wandered into this place!

I am truly glad to see that folks are slowly begining to check out the forum such as it is during what I hope will be a brief infancy. In time I'd like for this place to become a thriving community, but given its rather esoteric bent, I'll be satisfied if it serves its intended purpose as the root effort to organize the Central Ohio and surrounding areas tiki communities to whatever end should come of it.

Consider this the begining of an experiment.

So right now you may be thinking:

"WTF? This guy is gonna start a tiki forum for Columbus Ohio residents? That's stupid man, 'cause there's like eight of us."

Well, I know it might seem a funny notion to set up a forum purely for local folks who share a common interest as well as locality when there are national forums devoted to the subject, but this place is intended to serve an altogether different purpose.

The goal is not necessarily to create a forum that serves as a source point for information about the subject of tiki such as Tiki Central does.
I also realize that this forum even at it's peak of use may not be busy enough to generate what might be described as an online community due to the very nature of its audience.

Rather, my goal is to try to set up a convenient message board in the purest sense of the word, that allows all of us Columbus (and nearby communities) tiki folk to gather and organize.

Potential uses include (off the top of my head):

We can set up events or post invites and info about events of interest.

We can trade artifacts and coordinate purchases (like online bulk liquor orders of rums not avaliable in Ohio).

We could plan trips and arrange rides to destinations of interest to the midwestern tikiphile. Maybe even save money with group rates.

We could discuss local topics of interest like the Kahiki.

We could post pics of collections, or arrange viewings of our collective tiki paraphenalia.

Or frankly, we could just chat as friends who have similar tastes, a common hobby, and the real possibility of hanging out in real life over a few mai tais.

Now the dreamer stuff:

My ideal goal is to foster the beginings of a midwestern tiki social club that may eventually become a fraternal order of sorts with either a private club space done up as an old school lodge with a fully stocked bar, annual dues, and a charitable tax exempt status...

...or a group that organizes a large scale annual event in honor of the city that once called the Kahiki it's home.

Call it the "Fraternal Order of Moai".

The San Fran and Chicago groups all host crawls, participate in events as a group, have bar nights and hang out at home bar luaus.

The Floridians throw down at the Mai Kai.

There's Hukilau.

Etc.

So I just feel like we need to do our thing and get together as a group. I always enjoy meeting new people, and think some of you are very talented tiki artists, amazing collector historians, bartending masters, and all around aloha spirited folks.

To put it bluntly, it just plain sounds like a hell of a lot of fun to me to form a midwest tiki social club, throw some great parties, have a laugh, represent at the Hukilau as a group, and all the rest that goes with it.

So there ya have it folks. I'm just a big ol' fun lovin' kid with a tropical itch, who happens to be stuck in the landlocked town that used to be a tiki mecca. I think there's a lot of you out there close by that are just like me. I've met a few of you, chatted via the web with a few of you, and heard about some of you from others.

I think we should all start talkin'.

and...

Quote:
The Order is open to anyone who meets some of the following criteria:

-You are into tiki culture and live near enough to Columbus Ohio that you would want to drive down to meet up in real life with your fellow Moai

-The state and direction of tiki culture in Ohio and the midwest interests you and you want to become involved

-You want to help organize like minded folks interested in tiki culture in the Central Ohio region

-You'd like to maybe hang out at a real life private local tiki lodge on weekends sometime in the near future knowing that your hard work and annual dues paid for it

-You think Ohio needs a large annual Midwest Tiki event in honor of the Kahiki's memory

-You like tiki and live in Cowtown or Dayton or Springfield or Marysville etc.

-You're breathing and conscious and wanna chat

It's free and it's your forum folks, please jump on in.

If any other Fellow Moai would like to see an archival thread or any other thread that they feel is relevant to the Moai Ra'e moved to the Port, please let me know and I'll get right on it.

Keep the torches burning,

Ahu

ferment the red bitters of love! 

I know heavens pierced by lightning, the waterspouts
and undertows and currents: I know night, 
Dawn rising like a nation of doves, 
and I've seen, sometimes, what men only dreamed they saw! 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:08 pm 
Hatu Matoa

Also...

I should state that since those posts were written, we have grown considerably in both membership and scope. Our order is open to a much wider segment of tikiphiles in terms of locality than before. The focus on Ohio has shifted to more of a focus on the midwest and even well beyond. The response has been so positive that we just had to rethink our goals.

So... if you like what you are reading and you think you are "close enough", then jump on in. The goal now is to organize chapter groups in each locale so that our Fellowship can spread much more efficiently. We will still all meet under one banner here, but you and your local ohana can organize your own FOM chapter and pool resources that way. Local level is the way to get the job done.

The benefits for chapters are... well, you'd have to be a Fellow Moai for that info. :wink:

Ahu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:23 pm 
Kere

If you are serious about joining the Fom, and someone from the Imperial Order of the Sphinx contacts you and asks you "where is the nose?" the correct response is "the nose is in the sand"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:36 pm 
Hatu Matoa

Ixnay on the inxsphay.

Ahu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:51 pm 
Tourist

Let me just say that this information really is helpful. You're not wasting your time. This answered all of my questions that will be answered. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:16 pm 
Nounou Moai

Personal Statement: Who me?
Is there a place to see where the local chapters are? I am from the Albany, NY area and have no idea where the New England Chapter meets.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:56 pm 
Chapter Tohunga

Personal Statement: Ouch!
davephelan84 wrote:
Is there a place to see where the local chapters are? I am from the Albany, NY area and have no idea where the New England Chapter meets.

The Chapter page has a link to the Queequegs website. There is a map of the usual haunts there. Springfield MA at the Hu Ke Lau would be the closest. Unless you count The Tiki in Lake George.

ImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:19 pm 
Nounou Moai

Personal Statement: Who me?
Many thanks foredeckape- the map on the chapter site was unclear as to location. Springfield is about an hour from me. (are you ex-Navy as well? I am from the Vietnam era - Ops division)
I am looking forward to Ohana 2013, my camp is within 10 miles of Lake George. Can't wait!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:21 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Is there more rum?
LuckyPrimate was here!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:26 pm 
Tourist

This information was very helpful for those who might be thinking about joining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:10 am 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Cocktail anyone?
Aloha!

I am a Canadian transplant now in Columbus and am interested in Joining the FOM.
Who is coming out Friday night to the Hot Rod Hula hop? I'd like to chat and start down the path being a member!

I'm busy Saturday with the Kid's bday, but will be out Friday!!

Karm
aka The Handsome Devil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:04 pm 
Matu'u

Personal Statement: Conch ceviche.
Pretty much everyone who can be at the Hop will be there Friday night so you shouldn't have any trouble chatting with local and non-local Fellows.

Which reminds me, need to confirm my flights.

-Rev

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:07 am 
Tourist

I am from the Vietnam era - Ops division)
I am looking forward to Ohana 2013, my camp is within 10 miles of Lake George. Can't wait!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:15 am 
Protector of the Golden Witco

Personal Statement: LIGHTS OUT!
blackbee045 wrote:

Hopefully the FOMTIMEMACHINE™ is/was/will be ready by then.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:06 pm 
Matu'u

Another bot.... they try to sound human by copying and pasting some random text from old posts on the same forum.

This one seems to have a fondness for Dave P.

-Rev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:37 am 
Tourist

Hello all. I'm Tiki Johnny and I'm from Milwaukee. Wi. What's everybody doing this weekend. I'm thinking an evening at Lucky Joe's Tiki room may be in order.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:10 am 
Matu'u

Going to a tiki bar is never a bad idea.

-Rev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:53 pm 
Tourist

Can anyone help me in obtaining blue prints of the Kahiki?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:26 pm 
Matu'u

Jillie86 wrote:

If we could lay our hands on a set of those they'd already be in a museum or something.

-Rev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:58 pm 
Tetu Avahata

Personal Statement: I choose booze.
Jillie86 wrote:

have you checked ebay?

:roll: :P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:14 am 
Kere

Personal Statement: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
rev_thumper wrote:

-Rev

4% NEANDERTHAL, 4% VIKING

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:20 pm 
Tourist

Hello everyone! I'm new here and I'd like to announce to the Order that I wish to become Fellow Moai someday. I have spent years going to events now and then but I'd like to be a bit more involved than a few cocktails once or twice a year. I live in the Chicago area and suspect I may have seen a few of you while peeking out from behind my paper umbrella. I'm not the brightest bulb in the box but I'll try to follow the guidelines posted the best I can. Feel free to let me know when I flub it up, because I undoubtedly will!

Well, I'm going to go back to reading the posts and seeing the sites in the Port.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:24 pm 
Kere

Personal Statement: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
cool, hope to meet up at some point! we are in Columbus, but mean to make it up to Chi-Town sometime soon when we can.

4% NEANDERTHAL, 4% VIKING