The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"I saw Doomscrolling Moai open for Apocalypso once"

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:34 am 
Tourist

There's 3 bars listed on google. Been to all of them, but its evident they don't draw a tiki crowd, based on decor, drinks, and clientele. They're also all many hours away.

I know I can't be the only one into polynesian pop here, but I have no idea how to find them. Looking for facebook groups, regular haunts, etc. Anything would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:20 pm 
Honui Moai

Aloha, my wife Kekona and I are south of you in Columbia, Missouri. You have several within a reasonable drive. I dont know of any in Iowa but you have Laka Lono, Omaha - Tikicat, KCMO -Psychosuzies, Minneapolis and all the Chicago locations.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:19 am 
Fellow Moai

Kiani wrote:
There's 3 bars listed on google. Been to all of them, but its evident they don't draw a tiki crowd, based on decor, drinks, and clientele. They're also all many hours away.

I know I can't be the only one into polynesian pop here, but I have no idea how to find them. Looking for facebook groups, regular haunts, etc. Anything would be appreciated.
The only time I’ve seen someone attempt “Tiki” in Iowa is Fong’s Pizza in Des Moines. That was.... interesting.

As Maori says, at least you’ve got options in surrounding states. Tikicat and Psycho Suzi’s are definitely top notch.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:45 pm 
Tourist

thekazz wrote:
Kiani wrote:

The only time I’ve seen someone attempt “Tiki” in Iowa is Fong’s Pizza in Des Moines. That was.... interesting.

As Maori says, at least you’ve got options in surrounding states. Tikicat and Psycho Suzi’s are definitely top notch.

Fong's is good pizza. But I wish they'd stick to that. Theres .... bellhop(?) that just opened in des moines that does okay drinks (pretty syrupy), but more florida tropical bar than tiki.

I've gotten one buddy to start testing the waters. Hoping I can grow it from there.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:02 pm 
Matu'u

Personal Statement: pants off bottoms up
I think you're doing it right. Reaching out to national groups can lead to finding people in your backyard that you wouldn't run into if there are no events or tiki bars nearby.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:07 pm 
Fellow Moai

Contact Senator Charles Grassley--he's 88, but it sounds like he still knows how to party!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:14 pm 
Tourist

E33 wrote:
I think you're doing it right. Reaching out to national groups can lead to finding people in your backyard that you wouldn't run into if there are no events or tiki bars nearby.

Yeah, I was hoping proximity to so many hot spots would mean I'd find people in the gaps to learn from in person. But I guess that's why there's the "if you build it, they will come" idea. Going to try and get something going.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:19 pm 
Kere

Personal Statement: I choose booze.
Aloha Kiani!
I don't know much about Iowa, but one thing I have heard about Iowa is that if you build it, they will come. :fez:

I think you will either find other ohana or create them when they see what tiki is all about!

You seem to be taking the right steps. Maybe approach your local bar about doing a tiki night. Share the Beachbum Berry books, help them make syrups, put out the word. Our people always make themselves known!