The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"Where exactly is Girl and Boyland? Because if they’re having a jubilee, I want in."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:31 pm 
Kere

Personal Statement: Down with Pants!
So I found this a while ago, bookmarked it to come back and share, then never came back and shared. Well... the Kerr family motto is 'better late than never.'

Today's Urban Archaeology is a video about the South Pacific Restaurant in Hollywood Florida. Technically it's in Hallandale, but back when it was built it was Hollywood.

This video was put together by Dan Watson, his parents used to run the photo concession in not just this place but several more in the area. He lives up north now but I am still trying to track him down and get him in touch with any of the Fellows so we can get a bit more information from him. If you happen to know Mr Watson, have him pickup the blue courtesy phone in the lobby and ask for me, thanks.

The video is about 20 minutes long so plan accordingly. There is a long segment in the middle that is a cassette recording of the show from the Second iteration of the restaurant. Not the best recording but the pictures make it worthwhile to not skip ahead.

And with that for an introduction.... the South Pacific Restuarant in Hollywood Florida

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:42 am 
Matu'u

Personal Statement: pants off bottoms up
This is awesome Chip. I haven't watched the video yet, but did a quick google to find out where it was exactly, a little north of Gulfstream Park on US1. In that google I found this article and slideshow of old restaurants and lounges in the area: https://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/f ... story.html . It's got several from Pier 66, some other tropical places, even a viking themed restaurant and the caves.

Have you ever come across any South Pacific souvenirs or ephemera?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:34 pm 
Kere

Personal Statement: Down with Pants!
E33 wrote:
This is awesome Chip. I haven't watched the video yet, but did a quick google to find out where it was exactly, a little north of Gulfstream Park on US1. In that google I found this article and slideshow of old restaurants and lounges in the area: https://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/f ... story.html . It's got several from Pier 66, some other tropical places, even a viking themed restaurant and the caves.

Have you ever come across any South Pacific souvenirs or ephemera?

Where the South Pacific was a car dealership until recently. Last time I went that way there was construction fencing up for something new to be built so it may not even be that anymore. I do have a matchbook from there, I will scan it and share.

The Viking Themed restaurant is.. was... was up on Federal near Old Griffin Road. It's the building that is currently the Holocaust Museum, next time you go by take a look at their sign, squint your eyes a bit and you can see it looks like a Viking Hammer. I have a record from the place, but the vinyl is in such sad shape I can't play it. I think I still have it.... I still have too many things in boxes from the roof replacement three years ago.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:56 am 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Cocktail anyone?
This is awesome.

I know that time marches on and things of the past get buried but finding/rediscovering them warms my nostalgic soul (or maybe that's just the gunpowder Pussers)

KarmDevil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:47 pm 
Fellow Moai

I mentioned the South Pacific in my FOM quest projects a few years back. Also Emily had a whole section of her talk on the South Pacific and even included a copy of their original menu, laminated and all in her FOM pquest project.
I remember the South Pacific when I was a little kid visiting my grandparents who lived in Hallandale (Golden Isles). Sad that is was bull dozed to become a parking lot.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:04 pm 
Kere

It's awesome you have all this footage! The South Pacific in my hometown has almost nothing and believe me I search!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:20 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Get big.
yay! Thanks, Chip.