The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"Where exactly is Girl and Boyland? Because if they’re having a jubilee, I want in."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Perfect drink ice?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:10 pm 
Tourist

I just came across this, and was curious if anyone had tried one of these. The price is rather high but I assume much lower then buying a restaurant grade ice maker? Looks like it could make perfect Tiki drink ice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YF ... 1d6b1bfbee

Cheers!
--The Captain

Post subject: Re: Perfect drink ice?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:18 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Kaʻapuni Hauʻoli
I'd recommend an alternate approach ... chest freezers are much less expensive; once you have one you can make clear ice (which can be used in large cubes or crushed, as needed) as well as freezing other things.

As to the making of clear ice, I found several explanations online and the best one comes from the "Man Shit Monday" podcast on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5H2Opjql9g). I have followed this process with excellent results. I have more to say on this subject here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23676.

Good luck on your venture.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:40 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Waiting on time travel
For the money it is better to see if there are any establishments that will sell you pellet ice if doing a big party. I hit up Golden Chick in down town Round Rock. I know that some places Sonic will sell bags and I am pretty sure that Which Wich and a few others do as well. If I am just making stuff at home for me (only a few drinks) I bought a vintage motorized ice crusher which gives much more consistent shard size than the shitty ones on most fridges. If you look up Rival ice crusher on ebay you can find them for about $20-$30 for one in decent shape. Just my 2 cents :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:41 am 
Tourist

Personal Statement: "I drank what?"
The Captain wrote:
I just came across this, and was curious if anyone had tried one of these. The price is rather high but I assume much lower then buying a restaurant grade ice maker? Looks like it could make perfect Tiki drink ice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YF ... 1d6b1bfbee

Cheers!
--The Captain

I know a few tikiphiles who swear by them, but unless you're making 4-6 drinks a night it seems like pretty expensive overkill in my book.

A Dazey or Ice-O-Matic crusher is more my speed. Then again, I don't think I have the dedicated counter space for an Opal anyway.

Also, I've heard they need to be cleaned frequently or you can get all sorts of mold issues.

“The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy also mentions alcohol. It says that the best drink in existence is the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, the effect of which is like having your brains smashed out with a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick.”

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:21 pm 
Fellow Moai

We have one of these and absolutely LOVE it! Patiki suggested we try one and we are so glad we did. We no longer use the refrigerator icemaker at all. This works so much better. If you are patient you can find deals on them too...If you have Tiki Home Bar and an electrical Outlet, this is a great way to go for ice! I highly recommend!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:36 am 
Chapter Tohunga

Personal Statement: Jungle Red!!!
It ain't cheap, but it's a cheap thrill to have that soft chewy ice in every glass you drink. It's a bit loud (fan noise) so if you have an open kitchen design you might want to find another place for it. It takes an hour or so to completely fill the hopper. If you are going to have a party just start emptying the hopper into a bag in your freezer a day in advance to store up. You WILL want the additional side reservoir, trust me. As the ice in the hopper melts, the water gets recirculated back into ice. The ice texture is such you will never need to grind or crush ice for your cocktails again. Ours has been running nonstop in the kitchen almost a year now without any problems. You can't buy bagged ice with this type of texture. It's that chewy stuff you just can't stop munching on when you get a soda in a restaurant. Perfect ice for perfect cocktails.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:37 pm 
Tourist

Da Kine wrote:
For the money it is better to see if there are any establishments that will sell you pellet ice if doing a big party. I hit up Golden Chick in down town Round Rock. I know that some places Sonic will sell bags and I am pretty sure that Which Wich and a few others do as well. If I am just making stuff at home for me (only a few drinks) I bought a vintage motorized ice crusher which gives much more consistent shard size than the shitty ones on most fridges. If you look up Rival ice crusher on ebay you can find them for about $20-$30 for one in decent shape. Just my 2 cents :)

Yeah, It's not on my "gotta haves list" for sure since there are easy options for bags of pellet ice nearby. I was more or less just curious what others had experienced with this gadget as it seemed like an interesting solution for folks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:39 pm 
Tourist

Paniolo Paul wrote:
I'd recommend an alternate approach ... chest freezers are much less expensive; once you have one you can make clear ice (which can be used in large cubes or crushed, as needed) as well as freezing other things.

As to the making of clear ice, I found several explanations online and the best one comes from the "Man Shit Monday" podcast on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5H2Opjql9g). I have followed this process with excellent results. I have more to say on this subject here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23676.

Good luck on your venture.

Awesome, thank you for the advice, I'll look into it! Sounds like a fun adventure into learning something new!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:40 pm 
Tourist

Doc Aikane wrote:
It ain't cheap, but it's a cheap thrill to have that soft chewy ice in every glass you drink. It's a bit loud (fan noise) so if you have an open kitchen design you might want to find another place for it. It takes an hour or so to completely fill the hopper. If you are going to have a party just start emptying the hopper into a bag in your freezer a day in advance to store up. You WILL want the additional side reservoir, trust me. As the ice in the hopper melts, the water gets recirculated back into ice. The ice texture is such you will never need to grind or crush ice for your cocktails again. Ours has been running nonstop in the kitchen almost a year now without any problems. You can't buy bagged ice with this type of texture. It's that chewy stuff you just can't stop munching on when you get a soda in a restaurant. Perfect ice for perfect cocktails.

Sounds like it's a winner if you have the space/cash and outlet. Good to hear yours is working well for you and you really enjoy it! Thank for the info!

Mahalo!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:54 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ouch!
The Captain wrote:
Doc Aikane wrote:

Sounds like it's a winner if you have the space/cash and outlet. Good to hear yours is working well for you and you really enjoy it! Thank for the info!

Mahalo!
Are you appliance shaming the Doc?

You asked the question about something that is expensive, needs electric current and takes up kitchen space. Why the "oh, that's very nice if you can afford/fit/power it?"

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:53 am 
Fellow Moai

The Duchess loves the pearl ice they serve down at the broken shaker.

I might have to consider this.

I do love big clear ice in my Old Fashioned, Boulevardier, Black Manhattan, etc.

...so many kinds of ice!

At the Aviary in Chicago, they have a chef position entirely dedicated to ice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:07 am 
Tourist

Commodore Oleo-Saccharum wrote:
The Duchess loves the pearl ice they serve down at the broken shaker.

I might have to consider this.

I do love big clear ice in my Old Fashioned, Boulevardier, Black Manhattan, etc.

...so many kinds of ice!

At the Aviary in Chicago, they have a chef position entirely dedicated to ice.

Hhehe, I wonder what that person is called? "Ice Master in Chief"?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:28 am 
Manawale'a Avahata

Personal Statement: Uptown funk you up
Am I the only person that doesn't care about ice? :lol: :lol: If there's frozen water keeping my drink cold, the configuration matters not a whit to me.

Sacrilege, I know. This is why rev_thumper is in charge of things like this.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:21 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Disney is my Happy Place
I, fortunately, have a Sonic drive-in right down the street and can get a bag of the "good ice" for $2.99! (I also have a Waring Pro Ice Crusher that does the trick as well when I don't have Sonic Ice!

https://www.amazon.com/Waring-IC70-Prof ... 9d95c82244

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:05 am 
Fellow Moai

FYI: The Opal is on sale right now for $465.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YF9SGBW

This is the lowest price its ever been according to camelcamelcamel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:48 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Lights out by eleven.
It has already been mentioned but Sonic has good ice, not sure if they sell bags or not! But if you have any in your area, you might inquire.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:30 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: I'm pro-metric.
Whenever my fridge eventually dies, I want one of these that makes large round cocktail ice.

https://www.lg.com/us/discover/instavie ... /craft-ice

I don't make too much in the way of mixed drinks at home, as I don't have the patience to make all of the fresh juices and syrups, and then toss them when they eventually go bad. My go-to drinks at home, have been very spirit forward basically a nice rye or scotch on the rocks, or a gin martini (which I prefer on the rocks). There are several different scotches that have been aged in rum barrels and they're super yummy!!

Because my fridge ice maker died, I now keep 3 ice cube trays in the freezer - all the big ice cubes. I haven't gone through all that's required to make them perfectly clear. I do typically use water that I've boiled in my hot water kettle, a few times.

One of the trays is also dedicated to coconut water ice cubes. They make rum extra yummy. My favorite is the coconut water ice cube with Plantation Pineapple Rum.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:08 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ouch!
When you start getting into that price range for a consumer unit, some of the small commercial ice makers start looking economic.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:23 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Kungaloosh!
I just noticed Kristy's post. LOLZ! :lol: I don't think about ice very often either and am pretty well satisfied with my blender and crank-operated crusher. Ice shells, cones & other sculpural touches are interesting though.

I will concede that my bar's mini fridge doesn't hold much ice, so I took Paniolo Paul's advice on the chest freezer purchase. Wow, what a game changer! Now I can hoard meats, store bumper crops and keep bags of ice for some future era when visitors stop by again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:01 am 
Fellow Moai

The prices on these seem to be a lot higher now than they were a year ago... like a LOT higher...I was seeing them on ebay for $300 new in box...Maybe its close to the holidays now so the prices are higher.