The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"An established band releasing a self-titled album is usually a really, really bad sign."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:44 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: ... downright heathenish.
Fellow Moai and Visitors to our Shores,

As some of you may know, I've spent this summer visiting tiki home bars across the United States with specific emphasis on Fraternal Order of Moai members. It's been an amazing journey, and I've met so many wonderful Moai. I've chronicled my visits via my blog (tikitomtom.com), but there is one specific entry that I felt compelled to post here for all of us. It's the story of our beginnings.

I want to thank Elise (Sweetbeak), Jim (Chiselslinger), as well as Matt (Kuku Ahu) for their overwhelming kindness, generosity of spirit, and helpful edits as I took time to learn the details of those important days.

Please take a moment to read a little about our history - and be proud of what this order has done to create lasting friendships among us.

Wonderful ideas often take shape at small tables – especially when there’s rum.

When you visit Chiselslinger and Sweetbeak’s Rancho Kahiki Tiki Bar, you’ll be overwhelmed by the layers of art, carvings, and nautical items. Every tiki lamp was salvaged from the Kahiki. Half of the large tiki carvings once lived at the Kahiki. The other half are ones carved by Jim, earning him the name – Chiselslinger. You’ll likely talk to Mithu, a 43-year old Amazon parrot who resides at the Rancho. Elise (aka Sweetbeak) is an experienced aviary tech. Caring for exotic birds is her profession. When Elise met Jim, he had one tiki mug. After twenty years together of collecting, visits to the Kahiki, carving tikis, and crafting plaster-cast necklaces that would sell out at meet-ups, the Rancho Kahiki is now a tiki home bar to be envied.

With all the amazing art and tiki artifacts to take in, you might just miss one of the most important items in the room – a simple wooden, round table. Why would a table stand out against historical lamps, beautiful carvings, and layers of tiki?

That table is the first conclave of the Fraternal Order of Moai.

Almost seventeen years ago, Jim received a message from a guy named Matt on Tiki Central. Both men had recently posted about wanting to meet other Columbus Kahiki fans. Matt figured there could be a dozen or so die-hard tiki fans out there that might want to get together. On a lark, Matt joked that they should form a club and call it the Fraternal Order of Moai. The name would serve as an allusion to the two large moai that stood outside the entrance as well as the grand moai-esque fireplace that graced the inside of the Kahiki. Could they turn a hobby into a spooky secret order? Jim was amused. Matt was a self-proclaimed “shaggy-haired beachbum wannabe” trapped in Ohio with high aspirations of creating magical cocktails. Jim was a 6-foot-2 blonde surfer-looking cat who played guitar and carved tikis. The two laughed off the idea and had another drink.

Apparently, the lark was more serious than either had thought. Once Jim, Elise, and Matt began sitting down together for drinks at that round table together, they began to hammer out the structure for a pirate democracy, and crafted mythology and rituals for this new society. Matt launched a new online forum on New Years Day of 2005, bringing in his good friend Joel to help make the idea a reality. They then began reaching out to all of the tikiphiles, rockabilly scene folks, swing dance kids, and car club members they knew to invite them to join. The Fraternal Order of Moai began to take flight.

In the next few years, there would be Hot Rod Hula Hops and backyard luaus. Elise, a consummate hostess who always dressed to the nines in vintage fashion, would provide reason and practicality to balance Jim and Matt’s enthusiasm and craziness. Elise’s visual sensibilities for design and her flair for accuracy would set an authentic tone that deeply resonated with the tiki crowd. The Rancho Kahiki was established in their basement, and it became the metaphysical conclave for Jim, Elise, Matt, Joel, and many more.

Otto and Baby Doe would visit. King Kukulele would sleep on the floor in the spare room. Many a fellow Moai would find sanctuary here with a well-crafted cocktail.

Fast forward to today, the Fraternal Order of Moai (FOM) is now a primary connecting organization for tiki folks. With fourteen chapters across the United States and hundreds in membership as fellow Moai, FOM brings tikiphiles together to have “fun with a purpose.” Each year, FOM raises significant funds through its foundation to fund archaeological research, provide students who live on Rapa Nui with college scholarships, and more.

If you ever get the wonderful opportunity to visit Elise and Jim at the Rancho Kahiki, take your time, soak in the amazing carvings and historical artifacts, ooh and aah at the layers of tiki, feel the metaphysical vibe, and enjoy a tasty cocktail. But, above all else, pause and sit for a moment at the small, wooden table.

It might just inspire you to create a pirate democracy.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:56 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: If you're not living on t
Thanks for posting that story TikiTomTom. As a FOM hopeful (pledge?) it is interesting to learn the lore of how the FOM got its start. I’ve been following your tiki trail adventures on IG (as Michiganminiac), and your photography and writing has been entertaining, informative and inspiring. I hope to build out my own home tiki bar someday and have it be worthy of a visit by yourself. Keep tiki trekking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:19 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: ... downright heathenish.
Big Wave Dave - aka Michiganminiac! Mahalo for making the connection between the names! Appreciate the aloha and glad you're here!

Tiki Tom-Tom

Big Wave Dave wrote:
Thanks for posting that story TikiTomTom. As a FOM hopeful (pledge?) it is interesting to learn the lore of how the FOM got its start. I’ve been following your tiki trail adventures on IG (as Michiganminiac), and your photography and writing has been entertaining, informative and inspiring. I hope to build out my own home tiki bar someday and have it be worthy of a visit by yourself. Keep tiki trekking!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:40 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: If you're not living on t
Great to be here! Just posted my “get-to-know-me” bio. Hope to meet you in person at an upcoming event! We’ll be attending Hukilau, Tiki Fever, and Inuhele as well as Tiki Kon next summer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:39 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: I once spoke with Elvis
Great post Tiki-Tom-Tom,

The Fraternal Order of Moai has been an amazing magnetic force that pulls on and attracts some of the most interesting people I have had the privilege to meet.
While personally participation over the years ebb and flowed with the tides of life I always know that these welcoming shores with kindred spirits are here to offer a rejuvenating healthy dose of Jack-Assery, Tom-Foolery and Damn Fool Boobery !

In a way we are all trapped in an Ohio of some sort, even those that live in what others call paradise know that its just an illusion but the fellowship found here is anything but. :fez:

Huzzah to you good sir !

Last edited by bohemiann on Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:30 pm 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

Personal Statement: Just Go With The Flow!
This origins story is wonderful, one filled with the right amount of magic and captivating enough to be told just before the fire knife dancer comes out.
Mahalo for sharing.

http://www.ronfoxmedia.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:00 am 
Chapter Tohunga

Personal Statement: Jungle Red!!!
This post needs to be pinned some place obvious and be made must-read for all. Thanks for sharing Tom.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:38 pm 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

So inspiring!! Thank you for sharing and reminding us where this all started.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:58 am 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

So very cool. What an amazing picture of the Kahiki. I definitely need that tiki time traveling machine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:03 pm 
Tourist

Mahalo, for sharing!

I hope to one day be a FOM member who can pass this story on to future generations.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:39 pm 
Kere

Location: Metro Atlanta- Proud home of the Tongariki Chapter.
Personal Statement: I drank what?
Love that story, thank you for posting it!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

"Feeling weird is how you know you’re still here."-Halt and Catch Fire

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:16 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Where did I put my drink
Wonderful story of how it all began! I was fortunate to become friends with some of the Moai of the Kahiki chapter and they are a wonderful group!