The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

“Vespa and Macho don’t appear in the same sentence.”

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:03 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Live Life!
OK, here's a BBQ & Smokin' thread.

My first question-wood or charcoal in your smoker?

I'm using Stubb's all natural briquettes with some hunks of hickory tossed in. I would like to use more wood but bigger chunks of hickory or other smoking woods are hard to come by up north.

Has anyone used angles common hardwoods with good results?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Last edited by Shaff01 on Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:17 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Cuttlefish
In the Barbeque Marathon we fire up multiple smokers and use multiple woods to achieve a diverse array of flavors. My favorite flavor woods are hickory, mesquite, pecan, and crape myrtle. Crape Myrtle is an onamental tree that I only recently learned infused a wondeful flavor.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:48 am 
Honui Moai

Didn't know the crape myrtle was good for grilling/smoking!!! Have one out front and it's a common tree in these parts!!

just finished grilling kebabs with mesquite. I was thinking about starting a grilling thread while outside waiting for the kebabs to cook...and lookee here! You beat me to it!!

I have a small smoker in the garage..mint in box!! I got it last year post season..discovered today that my kettle grill is on it's last legs, so the smoker might actually get some use, unless winter comes back again (and again, and again....you need to be in NorCal to totally understand...weather has been bipolar for sure!)

I grilled zucchini, potatoes, grape tomatoes, onions...all from my garden, along with marinated chicken. Also a different marinade on 2 more chicken breasts to be shredded and used in tacos.

What meat do you smoke with the crape myrtle?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:36 pm 
Honui Moai

I've never graduated to a "real" smoker. I still use my good old Weber charcoal grille that I found in someones trash about ten years ago. She still looks and works like new.

Beer brats and corn on the cob last night. Smoking a couple beer can chickens tonight with hickory and mesquite.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:57 pm 
Honui Moai

I would like to get my hands on some real wood instead of these bags of chunks I get at the local Home Depot.

I want to more wood smoking and less charcoal.

I can get bundled hard wood all over but I have no clue what it is.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:43 pm 
Honui Moai

Imageok we got BBQ chicken corn on the cob. And dragon turds! Jalapeños stuffed with chorizo sausage wrapped on bacon and grilled I did a few Anaheim's too pretty tasty.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:15 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: I got yr Barbie zucchini
Funny post-Hurricane Ike bit (if anything can be funny after that :roll: :lol: ):

The very next morning, there were big trees EVERYwhere.
In fact, every single block in my neighborhood had a big 'un laying across the road! EVERY ONE.

A swarm of Dudes With Chainsaws And Trucks appeared, like [helpful] barbarians to chop wood and drag away enormous trunks. And then they were gone. I never even knew who they were :shock:

But smaller trees went down too, with many of my fellow neighbors helpless as to how to rid our properties of them. (Many of us are single gals.)

Enter the Neighborhood Manly Men.
All the Guys Who Grill got together to help us gals out.
But they admitted afterwards there was kinda a hierarchy - a hierarchy of wood - wood for grilling.
Because this - this was choppers/keepers:

"So, Jane's got a maple down in her back yard."
"Ooh, maple! That would be nice!"
"Yeah, but Laura's got a small oak!"
"Yeah, oak!"
(No crepe myrtles went down, though - I don't think any of them know of that little treasure!)

They admitted they then kind of daydreamed about having a wine cellar - but for their wood caches!
"Hmm, this cedar would go nice with these steaks," as they envisioned pulling out and sniffing a small log from the wall lined with different woods!

Something tells me a lot of you guys can TOtally identify...
;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:47 pm 
Honui Moai

Formikahini wrote:
Funny post-Hurricane Ike bit (if anything can be funny after that :roll: :lol: ):

The very next morning, there were big trees EVERYwhere.
In fact, every single block in my neighborhood had a big 'un laying across the road! EVERY ONE.

A swarm of Dudes With Chainsaws And Trucks appeared, like [helpful] barbarians to chop wood and drag away enormous trunks. And then they were gone. I never even knew who they were :shock:

But smaller trees went down too, with many of my fellow neighbors helpless as to how to rid our properties of them. (Many of us are single gals.)

Enter the Neighborhood Manly Men.
All the Guys Who Grill got together to help us gals out.
But they admitted afterwards there was kinda a hierarchy - a hierarchy of wood - wood for grilling.
Because this - this was choppers/keepers:

"So, Jane's got a maple down in her back yard."
"Ooh, maple! That would be nice!"
"Yeah, but Laura's got a small oak!"
"Yeah, oak!"
(No crepe myrtles went down, though - I don't think any of them know of that little treasure!)

They admitted they then kind of daydreamed about having a wine cellar - but for their wood caches!
"Hmm, this cedar would go nice with these steaks," as they envisioned pulling out and sniffing a small log from the wall lined with different woods!

Something tells me a lot of you guys can TOtally identify...
;)

Sadly all that falls down around my house is Willow which is good for nothing!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:11 am 
Honui Moai

Scootiki wrote:
Didn't know the crape myrtle was good for grilling/smoking!!! Have one out front and it's a common tree in these parts!!

just finished grilling kebabs with mesquite. I was thinking about starting a grilling thread while outside waiting for the kebabs to cook...and lookee here! You beat me to it!!

I have a small smoker in the garage..mint in box!! I got it last year post season..discovered today that my kettle grill is on it's last legs, so the smoker might actually get some use, unless winter comes back again (and again, and again....you need to be in NorCal to totally understand...weather has been bipolar for sure!)

I grilled zucchini, potatoes, grape tomatoes, onions...all from my garden, along with marinated chicken. Also a different marinade on 2 more chicken breasts to be shredded and used in tacos.

What meat do you smoke with the crape myrtle?

Just about anything really....brisket, pork loin, chicken, ribs....etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:27 pm 
Honui Moai

Does anyone know if you can smoke with wood that seems to be all over the North east like Oak and maple?

Not too many hickory trees around these parts. I'll have to hit up a couple of the local BBQ joints and see what they are using and where it is coming from.

Last edited by Shaff01 on Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:04 pm 
Honui Moai

Both are good hardwoods to cook with you don't get much smoke flavor with either. I personally buy bags of the lg chunks of hickory at home depot. I have also had a friend of mine in Atlanta ship me up pecan logs they make a very tasty smoke. Especially in pork and when smoking andouille sausage.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:44 pm 
Honui Moai

hawgness wrote:
Both are good hardwoods to cook with you don't get much smoke flavor with either. I personally buy bags of the lg chunks of hickory at home depot. I have also had a friend of mine in Atlanta ship me up pecan logs they make a very tasty smoke. Especially in pork and when smoking andouille sausage.

I guess for now I am going to have to stick to the bags of chunks. I found some real wood on-line tonight but the shipping is double the cost of the wood.

The damn chunks just burn up so fast.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:24 am 
Honui Moai

I've found that soaking them in a bucket of water over night or longer helps keep them intact a little bit longer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:51 pm 
Honui Moai

hawgness wrote:
I've found that soaking them in a bucket of water over night or longer helps keep them intact a little bit longer.

That's an important part of a good smoke.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:11 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Dammit!
Citrus woods are nice to smoke with also.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:42 pm 
Nounou Moai

Personal Statement: 133t h1118111y G33k!
Here it is I will give up my ultimate BBQ recipe. I use a webber kettle grill 2 smaller disposable roasting pans charcoal, apple wood chips and most important an oven thermometer. start with 2 roughly 1.5 lb venison roasts you can substitute beef or pork but its not the same. Let them soak in warm water then drain repeat. Until you no longer get any blood out of them rub with black Hawaiian salt garlic powder and black pepper. Next is the marinade 2 parts passion fruit syrup to one part ginger syrup. let sit in the fridge overnight. Before they hit the grill wrap them in thick cut bacon not the kind with maple or smoke flavor added. punch holes in the small pans for the charcoal to breathe. put one on either side of the grill add pre-soaked apple wood chips to coals as desired. It is best to do heavy smoke early and gradually reduce it as the day goes on. keep your temperature between 180 and 190 degrees for 10 hours. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:20 pm 
Honui Moai

hawgness wrote:

I always figured this too but the book that came with my big smoker said not to soak the wood because wet wood creates soot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:22 am 
Hoa Timo

I would like to take this opportunity to say how yummy Shaff01's cooked and smoked meats are. He treated us to some really tasty food on our drive home from Ohana and whatever he is doing, he should keep on doing. It's all delicious!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:30 pm 
Honui Moai

LuRu wrote:
I would like to take this opportunity to say how yummy Shaff01's cooked and smoked meats are. He treated us to some really tasty food on our drive home from Ohana and whatever he is doing, he should keep on doing. It's all delicious!

Thanks Luru. I'm glad you enjoyed the vittles.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:51 pm 
Honui Moai

One of my Beer Can Chickens from the other night... I can still taste it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:59 pm 
Honui Moai

Wood problem solved!! I stopped by one of the local BBQ joints and got the name and number of "Bill the wood guy" Turns out Bill is not too far from my house so I am on my way to pick up 1/2 face cord of Hickory.

Sa-wwweet!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:03 pm 
Honui Moai

So now that the issue of wood is solved I will throw out the next question. when smoking do you go by time or temp?

I personally go by the internal temp of the meat. I have read about people smoking brisket for 20 hours. I keep my smoker at 225 and when the brisket hits about 170 i know it is done.

BTW-who posted the picture of the bacon wrapped drumsticks? I cant find the post but was wondering how long they took?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:59 pm 
Honui Moai

If you're talking about the bacon wrapped peppers with chorizo stuffed in them they took about 15 to 20 min over a medium grill. I have updated the recipe since last weekend though I have added sautéed onions and cream cheese to the chorizo and actually cooked the sausage and mixed it with the onions and cream cheese prior to stuffing it in the peppers. All I can really say is wow!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:55 pm 
Honui Moai

hawgness wrote:
If you're talking about the bacon wrapped peppers with chorizo stuffed in them they took about 15 to 20 min over a medium grill. I have updated the recipe since last weekend though I have added sautéed onions and cream cheese to the chorizo and actually cooked the sausage and mixed it with the onions and cream cheese prior to stuffing it in the peppers. All I can really say is wow!

I think I love you.......

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:35 am 
Honui Moai

hawgness wrote:

This one is on tomorrow's menu, baby! Sounds great!