The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"It would sound like someone shaking a bag filled with kittens and tambourines."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:50 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Live Life!
hawgness wrote:
If you're talking about the bacon wrapped peppers with chorizo stuffed in them they took about 15 to 20 min over a medium grill. I have updated the recipe since last weekend though I have added sautéed onions and cream cheese to the chorizo and actually cooked the sausage and mixed it with the onions and cream cheese prior to stuffing it in the peppers. All I can really say is wow!

Those look and sound amazing and i would love to get the full recipe.

The drumstick picture showed about 10 drumsticks wrapped in bacon hanging in a rack the at was bought at Lowes.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:23 am 
Honui Moai

Hmm that does sound good. As far as a recipe I generally don't follow recipes or even write down what I do. I get this from my Mother and Grandmothers never write anything down just cook and make it up each time you go. Makes for some good and bad sometimes dinners. But there I know I used one brick of cream cheese and a small onion chopped and sautéed and a half a pound of sausage. I used 6 japalenos and 4 Anaheims and a pack of bacon and some tooth picks to hold the bacon on while grilling. Cook the sausage first with the chopped onions then let I Let it cool and drain in a delegate bowl mix the sausage onions and cream cheese. Then clean out the guts of the peppers and stuff them full then wrap the bacon over the open end and wrap down to the bottom and stick a tooth pick through. Grill until bacon is done to your liking. Enjoy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:42 pm 
Nounou Moai

Personal Statement: Needs more rum.
Technical issue here... I have too much smoke.

I have an insane neighbor who loses his mind when I grill because the Kingsford charcoal produces so much smoke in my chimney starter, and goes in his windows and smokes his house out. So, I sucked it up and gave it a go with the good old fashioned cancerous lighter fluid instead of the chimney... but... once the main fire went out and the briquettes went to heating up, there was still a ton of smoke rising out of the grill.

So, my question is, has anybody ever come across a lower smoke emitting charcoal? How about that Cowboy Charcoal stuff? I've heard that might do the trick, but I need some testimonials before I switch up my routine.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:23 pm 
Honui Moai

The "lump" charcoal which is basically pre burnt wood pieces burns hotter thus producing a little less smoke. I also found these little kingsford starter blocks at home depot last weekend that work great there are 30 tablets about an inch cubes that you place in the charcoal and light it. Worked great not much smoke and no lighter fluid taste. And only $4 for like 25 of them check em out

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:31 pm 
Honui Moai

You can make your own starter blocks.

get some cardboard egg cartons, put a briquette in each cup and pour melted parafin over each cup. A couple cups each time to get the party started..no lighter fluid needed.

Or...do like I do and use an electric starter...just pile your coals around the loop, plug and play!

Going to the store later...gotta get supplies for Dragon Turds!!! May use seasoned ground turkey instead...but then, maybe not!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:31 pm 
Honui Moai

oh Snap! I forgot to get cream cheese! I'm using anaheims and Italian sausage. I'm trying to tone it down a bit, but I may add some fire to the Italian sausage once I taste it...dunno. We'll see! This is a recipe that can probably be made in a variety of ways...like sneak some pineapple in there somehow. Diced or food processed Spam. One just never knows.....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:48 pm 
Honui Moai

Oh SPAM rockets now we're talking. Hmm gonna have to make those next!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:55 pm 
Honui Moai

OK, I'm clearly clueless here but what is an Anaheim? I have this recipe on my list for next week using the Jalapenos.

As for the charcoal. I stay away from Kingsford and matchlight because they both have something light lighter fluid infused into the briquettes. that is OK for grilling but when you are sealing it up to produce smoke I think it might not be as good for the overall flavor.

lump charcoal is good but I found that at $10 a bag it burns up way too fast.

I have been stocking up on Stubb's all natural charcoal from Lowes. Up here it is on sale this week for $5 a bag. i also bought a half cord of hickory so i will be using more wood in the smoker from now on.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:17 pm 
Honui Moai

Anaheim chilies they are milder than the japalenos and a little sweeter. Pretty tasty if you ask me. That is a good deal on the Stubbs guess I need to hit the local lowes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:30 pm 
Honui Moai

hawgness wrote:
Anaheim chilies they are milder than the japalenos and a little sweeter. Pretty tasty if you ask me. That is a good deal on the Stubbs guess I need to hit the local lowes.

I've had great luck with stubb's. I like the lump but it burns up way too fast.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 pm 
Honui Moai

How could we let this happen? the BBQ thread has slipped to halfway down page 2!

What has happened in BBQ land since we were last here?

I made the stuffed Peppers and they turned out great. had to use Hot Italian sausage due to the lack of anything better. the only think I'll do different next time is use less Cream cheese. they were good but a little too rich

Last weekend I had 50 people at my house for a Tiki Party, smoked a 9lb brisket, 10lbs of wings and 6lbs of bacon wrapped drumsticks. I'm pretty sure they ate the plate the food was on.

since I got 2 of those ideas from this post what new ideas have the rest of you been up to?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:26 pm 
Manawale'a Avahata

Personal Statement: Uptown funk you up
Well, we didn't cook anything ourselves, but last weekend we went to the New England BBQ competition held by the Harpoon brewery in Windsor, VT. We learned after the first year to come with empty food containers, and we came home with enough ribs, brisket and pulled pork to keep us in BBQ heaven all week. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:42 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ku'oko'a wai
It's only 10:30 here but I'm now starving. And drooling, taking notes and plotting my next rendezvous with my grill/smoker. My last attempt at cheese-stuffed, bacon-wrapped peppers nearly caused a divorce and a trip to the ER. Keep the yummies coming! -lava

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:55 pm 
Honui Moai

kristiki wrote:
Well, we didn't cook anything ourselves, but last weekend we went to the New England BBQ competition held by the Harpoon brewery in Windsor, VT. We learned after the first year to come with empty food containers, and we came home with enough ribs, brisket and pulled pork to keep us in BBQ heaven all week. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

That had to be a great event-Harpoon makes some great beers, this time of year their Summer seasonal is one of my favorites.

(besides Tiki and BBQ I have quite a love of craft beer)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:57 pm 
Honui Moai

HotLava wrote:
It's only 10:30 here but I'm now starving. And drooling, taking notes and plotting my next rendezvous with my grill/smoker. My last attempt at cheese-stuffed, bacon-wrapped peppers nearly caused a divorce and a trip to the ER. Keep the yummies coming! -lava

I have to admit typing that post made me hungry too, I just went up the street and grabbed a pulled pork sammie with Italian capicola and provolone cheese.

What was the problem with the stuffed peppers?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:07 pm 
Manawale'a Avahata

Personal Statement: Uptown funk you up
Shaff01 wrote:
kristiki wrote:

That had to be a great event-Harpoon makes some great beers, this time of year their Summer seasonal is one of my favorites.

(besides Tiki and BBQ I have quite a love of craft beer)

We're right up the road from the Windsor brewery, so we're able to go there often for tastings, etc., or just for lunch in their restaurant.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:18 pm 
Honui Moai

I am lucky enough to live in the middle of what seems to be a craft beer explosion. I have 2 bars with a huge draft selection within a few miles of my humble abode. Beyond that I think there are no less then 5 or 6 microbreweries right in the Rochester area.

It sure saves me from having to drink Bud.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:54 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ku'oko'a wai
Shaff01 wrote:
I have to admit typing that post made me hungry too, I just went up the street and grabbed a pulled pork sammie with Italian capicola and provolone cheese.

I opted for too-spicy a pepper (jalaps) for the event and crowd, I didn't wear gloves when deveining/deseeding them and a couple of other things I'm too ashamed to mention. Some dinner guests (victims) were sweating (crying) by the 1st pepper. Ha ha. The leftovers, when puréed, made a lovely bagel/sandwich spread however. Next time anaheims sound like the way to go - at least until my friends man-up! -lava

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:07 pm 
Honui Moai

HotLava wrote:
Shaff01 wrote:

I opted for too-spicy a pepper (jalaps) for the event and crowd, I didn't wear gloves when deveining/deseeding them and a couple of other things I'm too ashamed to mention. Some dinner guests (victims) were sweating (crying) by the 1st pepper. Ha ha. The leftovers, when puréed, made a lovely bagel/sandwich spread however. Next time anaheims sound like the way to go - at least until my friends man-up! -lava

I never considered wearing gloves. I did 4 of each and the amount of filling I had was just right. Both peppers offered a little different taste.

I'll bet that did make a damn good spread!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:40 am 
Honui Moai

I used anaheims...I just wish they were smaller peppers. Not exactly bite sized, and a little large for a good bacon wrap. I also used the hot Italian sausage which had more caraway than I like, but it was still good. I used neufchatel instead of cream cheese....not to0 rich at all. Sauteed the onions in garlic pepper oil. Added chipotle chile powder to the sausage/onion mix.

It was great, but I'll continue to tweak the recipe. Need dwarf anaheims!!!

I'm using Kingsford mesquite charcoal right now but it's a little too smoky...I think I'll pick up some plain charcoal and mix it. The mesquite is overwhelming some of the flavors.

Has anyone grilled stuffed hamburger/turkey patties?? I love those!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:46 pm 
Honui Moai

My next items to smoke will be a meatloaf, a rack of ribs or the all to famous bacon Explosion.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:10 pm 
Honui Moai

Imagevenison tenderloin medallions in tap tonight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:04 pm 
Honui Moai

hawgness wrote:
Imagevenison tenderloin medallions in tap tonight

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:33 am 
Honui Moai

what's everyone cooking this weekend?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:15 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Dammit!
I think you need to try that smoked meatloaf. I just saw a friend did that and thought it was a good idea.

Oh BTW, we use an electric starter now too! But you should tell warn your neighbor in advance or move your grill...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next