The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"It would sound like someone shaking a bag filled with kittens and tambourines."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:34 pm 
Tourist

Hi all! My name is Jana and my husband Vincent and I were fortunate enough to meet several Moais yesterday at the Mai Kai! It was so great meeting all of you and hearing more about this fantastic group. Our original plan was to simply pick up our to-go order, but with such good company, it was impossible not to stay and hang out for a bit.

We have a home tiki bar called Cook’s Lost Compass and though it remains a work in progress, we’re loving the process of treasure hunting for relics to display in the Compass, finding new and interesting drink recipes to try, and meeting more members of the tiki tribe! We’re pretty active on Instagram (@cookslostcompass) and try to post some sort of tropical escapist content daily :) For those on Instagram, feel free to drop us a line to say hi!

Our son is only 4 years old, but is already a tiki addict who picks out his own Aloha shirts for his weekend wear, has concocted his own “tiki drink” (really just a Shirley Temple made with ginger ale), and definitely has strong opinions on which mugs we should add to our collection. We call him the Tiki Tot :) With our two rescue dogs, Poe and Zelda, you can find our little gang of 5 regularly posted up in the Compass listening to exotica, making drinks, and tinkering with any new acquisitions we happen across during our relic hunting sojourns

We are thrilled to have found “our people” down here in South Florida — it was really such a blast meeting everyone and I hope we’ll see you all again on the 18th at the Mai Kai marketplace! Until then, we send along our greetings with the warmest Aloha spirit and can’t wait to start on our path to (hopefully) becoming Moais! :D

- Jana, Vincent, and the Tiki Tot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:05 am 
Avai Rona

Personal Statement: Drink? Jet Pilot!!!
Aloha Jana!

Welcome, hope to meet you at the Tiki Marketplace or back at the Mai-Kai. Your bar sounds like fun!

OZ :fez:
(Also in Fort Lauderdale at the Kapu Cove)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:55 am 
Tourist

Thank you so much! We’ve never been to a Marketplace at the Mai Kai before, so we’re very excited! We’ll see you there :)

On Instagram @cookslostcompass

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:23 pm 
Tourist

Aloha Jana! I shot you a follow on IG – looking forward to seeing more pictures of the Compass as it comes along! Can never start a kid too young on tiki – I credit my parents’ love of Jimmy Buffett and the Enchanted Tiki Room at Disneyland for starting me down this path.

Happy Fourth of July!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:36 pm 
Tourist

Excellent - thanks so much! We’ll be posting some pics of our recent estate sale finds soon on Instagram that we picked up from a collector of oceanic art - I hope you like them!

Oh yeah … Enchanted Tiki Room was definitely our gateway tiki drug as well. I was obsessed with those birds as a kid and now we have two huge fabric stuffed (non-taxidermy) birds in the Compass as an homage of sorts. Their names are Catch the parrot and Release the toucan. Not quite as catchy as the Tiki Room’s bird names, but hey - we do our best!

So nice to meet you and have a fantastic 4th!

Jana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:19 am 
Chapter Tohunga

Personal Statement: Jungle Red!!!
Jana! It was great meeting you and Vincent, and I'm glad you stuck around and had a chance to meet some of our local FOM folks. Are you Disney people too? Just curious - seems to be a lot of cross matching within the locals. All forms of escape. Speaking of which I look forward to watching the progress on your home bar. With things starting to open up we will probably begin having meet and greets here and there very soon. I look forward to seeing y'all again in the very near future!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:32 pm 
Tourist

Hi Doc! We had such a great time meeting you and the other Moai at the Mai Kai. We were taking about it for the next two days. Honestly, we had zero idea there was a group of like-mindeds down here and it was such a welcome surprise. We look forward to the ramp up of the in person meetings and would love to be a part of them!

The Compass is coming along … it’s really a labor of love and I hope we continue to work on it for a long time to come as we figure out new and creative ways to squeeze as much fun out of our former dining room and outdoor tiki alcove. Hopefully we can host everyone there soon for a rum tasting and cocktails :)

With a 4 year old who has an obsession with Mickey, we’ve found it impossible not to be Disney people at this point haha! I’d say that we’re Disney fans and having grown up in FL, it was a fun weekend trip to look forward to every now and again. Definitely love several of the rides and attractions (Tiki Room, Haunted Mansion, and the People Mover being my faves) but the thought of standing in those lines and paying those prices is a bit … daunting. That said, the overall vibe in the parks is pretty amazing and we do enjoy finding the less crowded areas to explore. Also, it’s hard to beat Trader Sam’s for the theming. The Poly as a whole is definitely our happy place up there.

We’ll look for you and the other Moais on the 18th to say hi and pick up a gallon for the group!

Jana & Vincent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:24 pm 
Manawale'a Avahata

Personal Statement: Uptown funk you up
Welcome to the Port!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:46 pm 
Matu'u

Personal Statement: pants off bottoms up
Aloha, glad to have met you. That Mai Kai parking lot Molokai was something. Felt like old times except for the rain. So, what's the story behind the name CooksLostCompass?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:21 pm 
Tourist

Thanks all for the warm welcome! :)

We hit on Cook’s Lost Compass as our bar name after a lot of back and forth. A LOT of back and forth. We wanted something a bit different from the more common xx-room or xx-lounge, etc names we saw quite a bit. Those were great names, but we felt like we would just be copying others if we went down that road. But we did want something evocative of the South Pacific while also incorporating an element of mystery. When I was in middle school, I wrote a book report on a biography of Captain Cook and remembered really enjoying the book (unlike Where the Red Fern Grows, which still wrecks me to think about even 30 years later). So we came up with a story that Captain Cook came upon the islands of Polynesia thanks to his “cursed compass” which was hidden by the Hawaiians after they killed him to prevent being found by/ further incursions from westerners.

The compass was created centuries ago by the ocean enchantress Circe (we suspect as a means of luring mariners to her island) and Cook received it as a gift from an anonymous source before heading off on his first expedition. Upon bringing it aboard the Resolution, Cook noticed the compass wasn’t behaving as a normal compass would. After it pointed the way around a storm which would have otherwise destroyed his ship, he began to rely upon it more as his expedition continued and additional disasters were averted thanks to its guidance.

Eventually, the compass led him to the islands of the South Pacific. Following his death, the legend of the compass - now well hidden by the native Hawaiians - made its way across the seas with his captain’s logs to the eager ears of would-be adventurers lured by the promise of a compass that could lead them on fantastic adventures to places unseen by western eyes. Our bar is intended to be the formerly abandoned outpost for an ill-fated expedition that set out to find the compass. Having stumbled upon this forgotten camp in our own quest for the compass, we opted to settle there with the intention of gathering as much information as we could - from traveling merchants and other adventurers - before continuing on. However, after learning more about the legend, the various cultures of Polynesia, and the consequences of using the compass for one’s own benefit, we are now its guardians of sorts and work to protect it from discovery by others who may misuse it.

That’s the (long winded) story! Took us a bit to put together but it’s been a lot of fun to weave it into our theming.

Fun fact: we don’t have a single compass in our bar. We want to get a few banged up old timey looking ones eventually and write up some backstories for them but haven’t come across any that we like yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:34 pm 
Manawale'a Avahata

Personal Statement: Uptown funk you up
Love your home bar story! Super cool. 8)
CooksLostCompass wrote:
When I was in middle school, I wrote a book report on a biography of Captain Cook and remembered really enjoying the book (unlike Where the Red Fern Grows, which still wrecks me to think about even 30 years later).

What is it with "children's" literature? Is the actual purpose to make books so depressing that kids don't want to read anymore? So with you on this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:02 pm 
Tourist

Thank you!!

And you are 100 percent right - some of those books are so tragic and traumatic you’ve got to wonder what the objective is there by presenting them as kids’ books and then making kids read them to pass a class! I was so shell shocked after Where the Red Fern Grows, I wouldn’t read anything where a dog died at any point in the story (which of course was my first question upon receiving a book). Just wouldn’t do it no matter what. I still get way too emotionally attached to animals in books and frantically skim over the “bad parts.” The Game of Thrones books- as amazing as they were - were challenging in that regard, to say the least!

Same issue with some of the older movies. Like Old Yeller and Bambi … those will permanently scar a kid!

If my kid gets assigned one of those books, I’m gonna have to emotionally prepare him for the bad news before he unwittingly stumbles across it himself :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:27 pm 
Fellow Moai

Aloha, and welcome to the port!

Did you know there was a rum distillery in Alaska that shares its namesake with your bar?

A friend just gifted us with a bottle. Very tasty! Solid ester funk in a spiced format.

We look forward to bumping into you and yours and sharing rum and stories.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:11 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Leopard is a neutral.
Aloha and welcome!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:57 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Another please
Aloha from a fellow tourist from NC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:56 pm 
Chapter Tohunga

See you this Sunday at Tiki Marketplace at the Mai Kai? (Check your private messages too!)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:04 pm 
Tourist

Hello all! And thanks again for such a warm welcome!

Yes - we’ll be at the Mai Kai on Sunday.
Wouldn’t miss it!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:41 am 
Tourist

I stumbled upon this wonderful order after seeing the link on a Mai Kai email...

The very short story is I have always been drawn to and charmed by the Polynesian culture, and my good fortune in having spent 20 plus years with the Walt Disney World Resort, prior the insanity of the world shutting down, is I was one of the Stage Managers for the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show. If one learns anything at all, it is that Ohana is more than just a word. I think my attraction to the culture started with my first trip to the Mai Kai, in the 1980's, when I was a trainer at Ocean World. This were where we had our holiday party. It was a magical experience that launched a lifelong love of the culture, and eagerness to learn more.

I went to the NGA in Washington during a large Gauguin retrospective, and marveled at how his art was so heavily influenced by Tahitian and French Polynesia. Beautiful stuff.

I have a small Tiki bar at home, along with masks, and cannot begin to overstate how thrilled I am to have been able to join, even as a tourist.
Not much in the way of street cred, but wanted to share with you all!

Be Well and Safe, everyone!
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:46 pm 
Matu'u

Personal Statement: pants off bottoms up
RonaldFox wrote:
I stumbled upon this wonderful order after seeing the link on a Mai Kai email...

Aloha Ron and welcome to the port. So since you saw us in the Mai Kai email, does that mean that we'll see you on Sunday? We will have 2 tents next to the Mai Kai booth. At one tent we'll be selling bingo cards and spreading aloha, at the other, we're rigging up a misting system to try to provide a little relief from the heat. Please stop by and introduce yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:09 pm 
Tourist

RonaldFox wrote:

The very short story is I have always been drawn to and charmed by the Polynesian culture, and my good fortune in having spent 20 plus years with the Walt Disney World Resort, prior the insanity of the world shutting down, is I was one of the Stage Managers for the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show. If one learns anything at all, it is that Ohana is more than just a word. I think my attraction to the culture started with my first trip to the Mai Kai, in the 1980's, when I was a trainer at Ocean World. This were where we had our holiday party. It was a magical experience that launched a lifelong love of the culture, and eagerness to learn more.

I went to the NGA in Washington during a large Gauguin retrospective, and marveled at how his art was so heavily influenced by Tahitian and French Polynesia. Beautiful stuff.

I have a small Tiki bar at home, along with masks, and cannot begin to overstate how thrilled I am to have been able to join, even as a tourist.
Not much in the way of street cred, but wanted to share with you all!

Be Well and Safe, everyone!
Ron
Hi Ron! Nice to meet you! How cool that you worked for Disney and managed the Spirit of Aloha show … that is amazing!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:06 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: A normal life is boring
Aloha. I am from the West Coast of Florida. Sarasota county. I LOVE the Mai Kai! I am going to try to make it to the Tiki Marketplace on the 18th

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:19 pm 
Hoa Manu

Aloha Wanda and Ron! Welcome to our shores!
Nice to have you here!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:17 am 
Chapter Tohunga

Aloha RonaldFox and Magic Wanda!
So nice to see Florida faces popping up in here. Your local Gumbo-Limbo chapter of FOM would love to learn more about you. Why not make an original post / new topic here in the Port of the Initiate to introduce yourselves to everyone and say hello. We look forward to getting to know you both!