The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

“Vespa and Macho don’t appear in the same sentence.”

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:28 am 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

Hello All,

I am Daniel Janicki or Driftwood Daddy D (Triple D or Three D for short) and I would like to become a member of this fine fraternal order. I have met a few of the members already at events around Indianapolis and from what I can tell it is this is a group I would enjoy working with and having fun with as well.

So I suppose I should talk about who I am seeing how some of you don't know me at all. Well, I am 36 years old and recently moved to Indianapolis in August of 2020. I mainly lived before that in northern Indiana (Elkhart and South Bend). I have been getting into the tiki lifestyle for about three years now and this is how I came to meet some of the members of this order. I am currently planning a at home tiki bar and hope to begin installing it here soon in my basement. I am going to name it Creatures Cover and it will be designed to be island themed with touches of nerd mainly Dungeons and Dragons. Who knows how long it will take to create but the journey can be the fun part.

Outside of tiki culture I am into a long list of things. I am currently wanting to start purchasing tools and building a forge and a wood working area in my garage/backyard as I have always wanted to create things with my hands and now I finally have the space to try things out and hopefully make something. I am a big nerd and have a love of all things gaming. I love all types of games and have a large collection of board and card games. I am also a big enthusiast of table top gaming especially Dungeons and Dragons which I been playing since middle school. I also enjoy creating music and have played bass on and off since 4th grade, I would love to start learning a new instrument or find a band to jam with on my bass. The outdoors is also a big part of my life and I want to make it an even larger part. I enjoy nature and the outdoors, camping, hiking, kayaking, you name it and I probably enjoy it. It is also a great way to help me lose weight. I am also a car enthusiast and would love to be a part of a car club and maybe one day fix up and hot rod a old pickup truck. I am a lover of learning and you will find a lot of things interest me.

Finally, I thought I would end this with a few things about my personality. I am generally a outgoing, nice, fun guy (or so I hope) ;). I am more doer than planner which has caused me some issue in the past but I find I think better on my feet and in the middle of something instead of trying to figure out where to start. in fact trying to figure out where to start usually leads to me taking longer to do something as I psych myself out of it over thinking. I have ADHD and have had it since I was a kid, I am both external and internal meaning I have the high energy level of a hyperactive child but I have times when I will lose myself in my thoughts. I try to use my ADHD to help me but it can be a bothersome issue from time to time, I have learned to laugh at myself a lot and I try to not let those things get to me. I in fact use humor a lot in life (I use to perform stand-up comedy and owned a comedy club). I enjoy humor the most in people with knowledge a close second. I try to do my best to do good in this world and try to help others with laughter, though I am sure my wife (married for a year in Oct 2020) will tell you sometimes I need to remember that not everything is a laughing matter.

I hope that this is enough for everyone to start getting to know me and feel free to ask me more if you like. I am a open book and I love meeting new people. I am very excited to begin my path to become a fellow member and I hope to meet all of you in person or online soon.

Thank you,

Driftwood Daddy D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:09 am 
Fellow Moai

Aloha Driftwood Daddy D! do you know the Oakstaff's? ;) Glad to see you on the forum finally. I look forward to seeing you and your significant other out in the wild once the coast is clear from all the Mind flayers, Dragons, and Gelatinous cubes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:05 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: I'm pro-metric.
Aloha! Welcome!

Small world - I'm originally from South Bend (well technically Granger) too, but I had to escape down South as I hate that white stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:56 am 
Hoa Manu

Alooooha and welcome to port!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:07 pm 
Chapter Tohunga

Personal Statement: Just call me Surly
Aloooooooha! I've been waiting to see you pop up over here since your wife, tikiadjacent, has been quite active. Was wondering what you would come up with as far as a name and you didn't fail me. HAHHA! Love it!

Welcome to the Port and we'll be bugging you soon, my friend.... :thumbsup:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:38 pm 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

Thanks for the kind welcomes. I cannot wait to meet you all in person once we get clear of the pandemic. until then i should really get started building a tiki bar in my basement instead of just talking about it lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:38 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Drink, Drank, Drunk
Driftwood Daddy D wrote:
Thanks for the kind welcomes. I cannot wait to meet you all in person once we get clear of the pandemic. until then i should really get started building a tiki bar in my basement instead of just talking about it lol.

Ha! Yes you should! This pandemic is lending you opportunity my friend!

Loved your sharing of your story. You and wife sound like lovely people! It takes a Yin to have a Yang ya know! D&D became highly popular during my youthful years but I lived in a small Midwest Bible Belt town that made an ugly stink about how evil it was and on those days there was some pretty dark Satanic based fears rolled around my innocent psyche unknowingly. I still don’t quite understand the gist of how it’s played... even after watching Stranger Things ha! But I’m glad it brings you joy!

I have hopes to make it up to Indiana land some time this year. My fathers side of the family (whom I know nothing more of than a name) comes from there and it is where he was raised. He never spoke of it much so I know nothing of relatives and want to come do some genealogy research there if I can.

Anyhow... super nice to virtually meet you!

May your adventures be grand and just know that goat soap is your friend :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:42 pm 
Tourist

Location: Off the Great Astrolabe Reef, or just in Austin. but always in Psuedonesia.
Personal Statement: 你们好好的
I can only concur with your notion to begin the Tiki bar at once. I have been working on mine for 2 years and some change, but have only just begun.

Enjoy....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:33 pm 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

Personal Statement: Lights out by eleven.
Well well well...the husband has made an appearance on the forum! Yayyyy! Excited to be initiating into the FOM with you! Hopefully they don't kick us out too quickly. lol :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:07 pm 
Chapter Tohunga

Personal Statement: Just call me Surly
tikiadjacent wrote:
Well well well...the husband has made an appearance on the forum! Yayyyy! Excited to be initiating into the FOM with you! Hopefully they don't kick us out too quickly. lol :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thinking you're in good company here. Hahaha

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:53 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Leopard is a neutral.
Aloha and welcome!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:29 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Indy Tiki
Aloha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:20 pm 
Fellow Moai

Triple D? That's BIG. Welcome!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:48 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: why not?
Aloha and welcome from Snohio!!! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:25 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: ... downright heathenish.
Aloha, Driftwood Daddy D!

Love the name ... and awesome ideas for the homebar. Any chance you’ll be on the Gumbo Limbo Bingo fundraiser call for the Inferno Room (that’s in your home town, right?) this coming Thursday? Hope to “meet” you there as well! Welcome to the shores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:06 am 
Manawale'a Rua Motuha

Welcome ashore!!! We’re glad you’re here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:46 am 
Manawale'a Motuha

Alooooooha!
Welcome to the Port!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:52 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Is there more rum?
Aloha Driftwood Daddy D and welcome!

It's great to hear your backstory and learn more about you. And it's been great getting acquainted with you locally too.

Love to hear more about your forging interests as I sculpt and cast objects in iron, aluminum and bronze.

Looking forward to your journey!

Lucky Primate (aka Ninev)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:35 am 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

Personal Statement: In Love with Moondoggie
Aloha and welcome!

:?: One question - what do you know about Brak Flag :?:

:shock:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:36 am 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

Personal Statement: In Love with Moondoggie
tikiadjacent wrote:

It gives me hope that maybe, someday, hopefully, probably my husband will also make an appearance on the forum... :cry: