The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

“Vespa and Macho don’t appear in the same sentence.”

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:56 am 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

Personal Statement: Lights out by eleven.
Mahalo,

That's a trick question right? You can't have too many tiki mugs! We just moved to Indianapolis this past summer. During the pandemic, my husband has been ordering tiki mugs like crazy! I think he has purchased somewhere between 30-40 mugs since March. I preordered my first mug from Tikiland Trading Company probably in August and I don't think it will arrive until early 2021 but I'm excited to have my own among the sea of his! How many mugs do you have and how long have you been collecting?

I am interested in becoming a member of the FOM-Pukapuka chapter. We frequent the Inferno Room, have met several members, and my husband is looking to build a home tiki bar in our basement. A long-term project! I enjoy tiki culture although I consider myself adjacent to it because the husband is way more into the escapism and such than I am. But we do travel (not much since Covid!) a lot and I think visiting the different tiki bars is my favorite part of experiencing tiki culture. If I'm remembering correct, the first "real" tiki bar we visited together was in 2017 to Don the Beachcomber in Huntington Beach, CA, something we did on a whim that my close friend suggested. Most recent, we went to Max's South Seas Hideaway in Grand Rapids, MI in August this year besides our almost weekly trips to the Inferno Room or Strange Bird here in Indy. Anyway, I like that the FOM values good works and celebrates the past. As a history major in college, I appreciate that and think I would have a lot to contribute as an initiate.

Thank you,
Amy C J :fez: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:00 am 
Matu'u

Personal Statement: pants off bottoms up
Aloha and welcome to the port. Feel free to chime in on any of the threads you have access to.

I always say that I don't collect tiki mugs, but if you look behind my bar, you wouldn't believe me. For me, too many would be when I don't have a story for why or how the mug ended up in my collection. The bulk of my collection are from events I attended, or charity fundraiser mugs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:19 am 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

Personal Statement: Lights out by eleven.
I like that your mugs have a personal story to them, like sentimental value. It makes them special and interesting to talk about. I see you might be located in South Florida. My husband's family lives near Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda. I was raised from Jacksonville and have family in the Tampa area and Stuart on the treasure coast. Thanks for the welcome!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:21 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ouch!
Alohowdy!

Too many for one can be not enough, or just right for another. It depends on who is writing the history and sitting in judgment.

If you come across a mug that brings you joy, and you feel you need that mug, you cannot have too many since you never can cross paths will all tiki mugs that are or ever will be. Therefore, the precept of too many tiki mugs is invalid.

I suppose someone's tiki mug collection could have excess. Maybe, if it contained multiple examples of a particular rare mug. However, donating on to the Ohana Luau at the Lake silent auction can help those tiki mugs find a worthy new home which would not only correct the excess, but support a worthy cause.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:30 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: In everything: Balance
It depends on how many you drink. If you have 1-3 per day, then that comes out to 365-1,095 mugs per year (so you never use the same mug twice in a year).

As for me, My tiki room has no more space for even one more mug, so I'm set. In case you're wondering, I have exactly 40 mugs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:26 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ouch!
That is a utilitarian construct. Are you asserting that tiki mugs are only of value for drinking?

So to follow that line, you would consider hanging art only for its insulation and to protect the paint from fading under the intense florescent lights of your bauhaus abode?

A mere 40 would barely encompass the mugs of the order, let alone a reasonable compliment of our close artist friends' work.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:16 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: In everything: Balance
foredeckape wrote:
That is a utilitarian construct. Are you asserting that tiki mugs are only of value for drinking?

So to follow that line, you would consider hanging art only for its insulation and to protect the paint from fading under the intense florescent lights of your bauhaus abode?

A mere 40 would barely encompass the mugs of the order, let alone a reasonable compliment of our close artist friends' work.

As it happens, I do have ALL of the FOM mugs, and they do make up at least half of my collection.

But, I agree that the mugs are art and meant to be displayed. Otherwise I'd keep them all in my kitchen cabinets. I was being facetious about needing 1,000+ mugs.

What saddens me are those who collect the mugs and either 1) never use them or 2) just keep them in storage containers as collector's pieces.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:02 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: I'm pro-metric.
My husband is more of the collector than me. Just when you think your collection is maxed out, that's when you find an awesome new mug at a thrift store or tiki event or your favorite mug artist does a new one with a cat, and being a tiki cat lady, one must have that. However, I do know some of the collection as been downsized a bit. Mugs have been donated for auction / charity purposes over the years. The mugs are really awesome to display your swizzle stick collection too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:47 pm 
Hoa Aga

Personal Statement: 4LokoCocoLocoMocoSoco!
kemika_popoki wrote:
My husband is more of the collector than me.

Testify!

“Too many” is not a construct the man comprehends.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:49 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Disney is my Happy Place
Aloha and welcome... Too many mugs... poppycock! There is no such foolishness! To me, the mugs tell stories of my journey into and through tiki culture. There are almost no mugs in my collection that don’t have a great memory of a fantastic night with friends associated!

Enjoy the journey, and welcome to the port!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:08 am 
Tourist

Personal Statement: AcmeTiki.com
I have somewhere around 80 mugs after 15 years. At this point, I buy around 3 or 4 a years. Just the ones that really jump out to me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:35 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Kaʻapuni Hauʻoli
I have around 60, with varying degrees of "attachment"; at some point, I'll have to thin the herd if I intend to add others. I have to admit that I have greater issues than Tiki mug collection - books, records (and CDs), and fly rods are higher on the list of possible problems, but are (arguably) under control. (It should be noted that Nancy wouldn't necessarily agree with my assessment.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:08 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Indy Tiki
I’ve never counted mine it’s a lot. In the next couple months I’ll have you guys over

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:56 am 
Kere

Personal Statement: I choose booze.
I know I have an absolute shit-ton of mugs, some on display around the house but most still in boxes waiting for me to finish a proper tiki bar in the basement. Absolutely no idea of the number.

But....I can confidently confirm that a shit-ton of mugs is not too many. :P

However, in the interest of scientific inquiry, I hereby volunteer to continue expanding my collection in order to determine the number that is "too many". Then the world will be able to mathematically determine the mug limit.

No need to thank me, I do this selfless thing for the good of the order and because it is my nature to only think of others and the advancement of people everywhere. :fez: :roll: :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:53 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: SPOOOOOON!!!!
Are you counting them in Imperial units, or using metric system?

"You're not going crazy. You're going sane in a crazy world!" - The Tick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:49 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Sleeps in hollow logs
Too many mugs? Is that a thing? Is it possible? In a day and age when Tiki Farm and other reputable producers are finding it hard to keep up, I would say it's not a thing. I would even venture to say that this is a topic of discussion I would expect to hear from the couch of the psychoanalyst before I would here. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is all easy for me to say, I'm not a big collector myself. I have enough mugs to hold beverages for myself and some friends, enough to keep me from getting bored, and that's all I need. I would never turn down more, but personally, I'm not out there grabbing them like Pokemon.

Also, I must add that similar to pet adoption, it is a great service to rescue them from second hand stores. A tiki mug belongs in its native environment, surrounded by tapa, carvings, black velvet paintings, and requires a certain amount of Exotica each day in order for it to thrive. It also requires a certain amount of rum, citrus, and ice. As guardians of tiki mugs, we must be mindful of our duty to provide for them. We do a great service to the culture, the aesthetic, and the way of life when we fulfill this duty.

That is all.

:fez:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:38 pm 
Tourist

Location: Off the Great Astrolabe Reef, or just in Austin. but always in Psuedonesia.
Personal Statement: 你们好好的
I feel it is a question of the space time continuuum. ( the third U is key)

How much time and space you have in mind is equal to the amount of Tiki mugs in kind. That being said.......

https://punchdrink.com/articles/secret- ... -fanatics/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:16 pm 
Tourist

I have only a handful of mugs but all have some significance. I have some from Ohana Luau on the Lake. Another came from a trip to Austin where my friend and I, after Zombies, so amused the bartender that she have us mugs to take with us. Fire me, it's not quantity as much as the memories encoded in the mug.
So all many mugs as makes you happy is the number that you need.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk